Have to start somewhere

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by daytona45, Jul 5, 2007.

1. daytona45

daytona45 <strong>"Student of Misdirection"</strong>

May 19, 2007
    north little rock
    Durty is absolutely right do you research..Bluemax all I can say is driving for any company is like buying a pair of shoes just because they fit one guy doesn't mean they will fit another.Notarps and myself drove for the same company but had two vastly different experiences.

I made some mistakes and put myself in a bad situation if you can learn from my mistakes then good thats why I posted here and my job is done.The one common question I always read last year was is this a good company and I couldn't understand why you could never get an answer seems like a simple enough question.Thats the problem it is to simple a question and it leaves out the roles of CSR, Mechanics, fleet managers and over zealous safety people who are a big part of your life and who have their own agenda and can make your experience good or bad.

I would of let the whole thing go and ride off into the sunset. but things where getting said to my work ethic and my competence that just were not true.Here is the only advice I will offer You have chosen a profession where everybody will second guess you whether you are out on the road driving when you are backing up or whether you are at the terminal dealing with some chuckle-head who never spent a day in his life as a driver.Live within your self and try not to judge others Good luck to you it is a tough decision don't go in with blinders on keep your eyes open protect yourself and you will be fine.Later

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. durrty

durrty Light Load Member

May 10, 2008
    east

i know u said this was your last post,but a quick question are you quitting driving all together ? i remembered in one of your earlier post you spoke on how much you liked it and to just shut it all the way off ,i find this odd.just asking

4. daytona45

daytona45 <strong>"Student of Misdirection"</strong>

May 19, 2007
    north little rock
    For now I am quitting completely I will keep my cdl current.Without going into too much details.I have allot of other things going on in my personal life that need my full time attention that driving would not allow me to do. To say I am at a crossroad would be an understatement and driving just is not possible right now.

5. Bluemax

Bluemax Bobtail Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Abilene Tx
    Well I hope im not screwing up..
    guess well find out soon enough
    At least You guys are looking out for the Supertrucker here
    :biggrin_2556:

6. Slyydaddy

Slyydaddy Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2007
    NC
    I've enjoyed reading the back and forth between No tarps and daytona. This industry is a beast and there is no loyalty from the companies to their drivers, imho. A company man like No Tarps would be fed to the pigs if the company felt the slightest pressure to do so. This is a slim profit margin business. Daytona, I feel that you are a good person and driver, but the company saw you as a liability and made a business decision to let you go. That was their decision and possibly their loss. New drivers...This is a cut-throat, cold shoulder, throw you out to the pigs or cows business. Go in hoping for the best, but expect the worst. Have a back up plan. I'm new to the industry and have had several set backs, but I enjoy what I do, all the while knowing that tomorrow is not promised in this industry.

7. 64chevy2

64chevy2 Bobtail Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Tennessee
    Praises to you Daytona i have followed your thread. And i thick you would tell the truth.I was thinking about mav but not now.And thank you for sticking up to no tarps he would never say nothing bad about mav i dont know what he gets out of but you sound alot like me.

8. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    I don't get anything out of it. The reason I said what I did was because newbies like you will think they are ate up. They are the best I have ever driven for. Are they perfect? No, but I talk highly about them, because they meet my needs and treat me better than any other trucking co has. I did not get in this week and my wife was suppose to go out with me this week, but you don"t see me screaming I got shafted. There are a lot of worse companies out there to work for and by scratching a good company off the list you just bettered your odds of finding one of them. Daytona is a good guy, but made the comment he thought they wanted someone else to run in his truck that would run more illegal than he did. That was flat out wrong. He said he has been around for 51 years, well it ain't been in trucking and trucking is like no other job. I tell you what anyone that takes the word of one person and basis a company on that then there is one person that does not need to enter trucking. Especially if the guy giving input is a rookie driver to begin with.

I don't expect anyone to go by my choices. Look around and talk to a bunch of drivers. Decide for yourself. I have never made a dime off getting someone to go with maverick as of yet. It would be nice, but doubt if it ever happens. I tell you what. I don't give a flip who you go to work for. I try to help new guys start out right, but you think mav is ate up and I give bad advise, well here is a little tip for you I hear CRE is hiring....:biggrin_2559:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
    AfterShock Thanks this.
  9. notarps4me

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    I also said that mav was wrong for not paying him any money that he was owed. I try to help a lot of newbies pick a good fit and a lot of them I have sent elsewhere. There is several that can tell you that they have called my cell and I have done everything I could to help them. Even guys that drive for other companies. Mav is very selective on who they hire, so if you are wanting to bank money getting referals you are looking at the wrong co. That is another reason why they are a great co. They want the best and you have to make the cut. They won't take any fool that wants to drive.

I told daytona I would try to help him find another job. He asked about a co that I know the drivers miles has been cut. I know a couple drivers from there and told him the miles was low. He said it is better than what I am doing now. I gave him the number of a friend of mine who is a trainer for them so he could get straight answers from a stand up guy that works for them. I have no hard feelings for daytona and wish the best for him.
    He may very well return to trucking. I just hope he doesn't land in a ate up outfit then he will see the difference from what he thought was bad compared to what is bad.

It takes a couple years to learn the ropes and the lanes and to learn how to survive out here. Why do you think so many go belly up and bail? What I have said may seem harsh to some, but the bottom line is I will stand for what is right and I don't care who it is if someone makes a presumption that leads newbies to make a wrong decision based on their exp and makes it sound like the co had it out for them, then I guess that is where I start losing friends. Mav is far from perfect, but a person needs to know the difference from what is ate up to begin with.

AfterShock Thanks this.
  10. AA3NK

AA3NK Bobtail Member

Sep 29, 2007
    Gloucester, MA
    NoTarps, you need to start your own thread.

This was Daytona's thread, he began it and he has ended it. He did an excellent job of telling newbies about his experience, that is what newbies wanted to read about, what is it like to get started in trucking.

Lately, you have been turning this thread into some sort of contentious and argumentative sounding board that has nothing to do with with the story line, "Have to start somewhere." You are NOT starting somewhere, you are an old hand at trucking and there are other forums on this message board.

I used to look forward to Daytona's updates and have read every word by everyone since he started it last September or thereabouts. I still look forward to finding an update in the mailbox and hoping to hear more from him and his experience. This is not my thread and I have no standing, it is just my view that you ought to start your own and leave Daytona's to Daytona.

11. notarps4me

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    You don't like what I type then hit the back button....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.