Having problems with backing

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by JR328, May 22, 2021.

1. JR328

JR328 Bobtail Member

Oct 21, 2019
    I started driving about a month ago. I pull a 53ft reefer. I thought it was the only thing I could ever see myself doing but at this point I’m questioning my future in this industry. I’m so nervous about backing all the time even while driving it makes it tough to enjoy the ride. It seems like the nervousness of it takes the fun out of it completely. I’m so afraid to hit something while backing and no longer be insurable as I’m freshly 21. I do have trouble backing sometimes even in easy spots. I feel as if I will never get any better because I don’t feel like I have over the course of this month. I dread pulling into where I have to load or unload because I get nervous instantly. So my question is did anyone else feel similar when they first started?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JSanborn103

JSanborn103 Medium Load Member

Jan 20, 2021
    I used to feel the exact way you described. I was nervous the entire trip, and very scared when arriving at a shipper. You’ll get over it after a few months once your skill improves. The older guys on here probably have some good advice about it.

Keep working at it, it’s too soon to give up. It gets easier and don’t worry about other drivers or cars watching you. Just ignore them.

It took me like 3 months to even start getting good

4. QuietStorm

QuietStorm Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    You should be nervous backing. You’re inexperienced and there’s a lot of money at stake if you #### something up.

That said, skills take time to develop and get good at. No one ever started doing something for the first time and was immediately a master. It’ll get easier as time goes on, and this is real life not a test, you can take as much time as you need to not destroy something.

To answer your question, yes, I was nervous backing for a while when I first started and felt particularly bad at it. Now I can pretty much back wherever I want without a problem, it might still take me a little while from time to time though.

5. NutterTrucker

NutterTrucker Bobtail Member

May 18, 2021
    You're fine!! Normal response. I would suggest when you have 30 mins and you are at a place out of the way..and you can straight back...
    DO IT! Straight back for half a mile! Well...at least 50 yrds or more. Do it over and over until you begin to understand the wheel and the proper amount of input. Look way past the end of the trailer ..pick a spot way out there and watch that as well..you will see the trailer begin to move instantly and then you just add a little ..LITTLE input. The ideas is to get comfortable with gentle easy does it...steering wheel use. Then you can feel better when back and not swing the steering wheel WILDLY BACK AND FORTH.. Another very good tip..is to STOP and turn the steering wheel..dont keep rolling backwards and at a high pace and turn the wheel. You will eat up too much ground and the trailer will stillnot be where you wnat it. so, STOP..turn your wheels straight or whatevrer...and THEN release the brake and move back. You will not waste runway if you do that.

6. Lumper Humper

Lumper Humper Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2018
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Just keep at it, you’ll get better.

Cowboyrich Thanks this.
  7. CerealKiller

CerealKiller Bobtail Member

May 19, 2021
    And get out and look as many times as you need to in order to not hit anything and to make yourself comfortable.
    in time, it will become second nature to you.

MIT, Dannygiel313, gentleroger and 5 others Thank this.
  8. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Everytime you're at a DC or a truck stop with lots of open spots, spend half an hour practicing. Try different approaches too.

9. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    I'm a yard jockey. Been doing it for the last 6 years and I get nervous at times too. Mainly of I have to back up next yo a live driver in the docks or at the plant where the docks are super tight.

Being nervous is fone. It just takes practice. As you get more backing practice the more confident you will become.

10. meechyaboy

meechyaboy Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2018
    Detroit, Michigan
    Biggest thing is to not care what others think.. every driver has been there.. so when your pulling into a spot take however long it takes for you to get it right. As a new driver if you have extra time on your run. Try to stop during nonbusy truckstop hours and back in to a open spot.

MIT, Munch75, Dannygiel313 and 7 others Thank this.
  11. Linte_Loco

Linte_Loco Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    LA (lower Alabama)
    Don’t be afraid to come back around at a different angle. Sometimes entering a place doesn’t put you in the right setup. Take your time to setup properly. Meaning drive around and turn around if needed to approach from the other direction

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.