Having problems with backing

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by JR328, May 22, 2021.

1. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    Lessons in backing? Where can one find that?
    I'm in TN, have been trying to find a refresher cause I already have. CdL but have been out of the truck for over 2 yrs now... and was about to give up... called about 20 schools and none would offer a refresher...
    All I wanted was practice some backing and drive a little...
    Found one school, the owner told me it would cost $2500 for 50 hrs, and would need a drug test which results take 5 days...
    But when I visited his school, found his trucks were old day cabs and trailers were 48 feet... so I didn't apply for that.
    Finally, found a small school, the owner chargeg me only $225,00 for 8 hrs, pay as I go. But their trucks are old Internationals and their clutches are a killer.... my leg started shaking in less than 30 mins backing which screw up everything... tomorrow will practice in an automatic Freightliner... shall see... my backing has never been good...
    Drove this Freightliner today and the thing was clogged up.
    Making a lot of noise, both engine lights stayed on the whole time and the regen light came on...
    They had to do sparked regen after that...

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TNSquire

TNSquire Medium Load Member

Oct 13, 2016
    Decatur, TN
    @JR328
    That nervous energy just needs to be redirected.
    That heightened sense helps you.
    Backing is learned.
    It takes practice. Lots and lots of practice.
    Find a huge lot and practice making that trailer do what you want it to do.
    The more you do it, the more confidence you'll gain.
    Ain't no shame in going real slow and easy, and getting out and looking often.
    I do it myself, and I been driving a year.
    Yeah, I'm still green, and I know it.
    But, one step at a time, and you'll get there.
    I give you credit for owning it.
    Backing is nerve wracking.
    Vans are the worst.
    Huge blind spot right where you need to go.
    We all back, some more than others.
    Keep after it.
    You got this.
    You only fail if you quit.
    The fact that you're reaching out here says you want to do better.
    Be smooth.
    Be easy.
    You can't slam that thing in there and expect a good time.
    Slip it in easy, and everybody wins.
    It don't have to be pretty, it don't have to be fast, it just has to work.
    Pretty and speed come with time.

4. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    If your only new to the industry that makes sense if you've been driving trucks for years probably not, although at 21 you've still go a lot to learn the more you drive the more confident you will become and the less nervous you will get. Even some experienced drivers still get a little nervous, for me it was always in the big parking lots at the truck stops when I had to back into a really tight parking bay best option if your not sure is STOP, get out and take a look, or find someone to act as your spotter. Any way this is not something that only effects you all of us at some point went through it and just like your first day at high school you'll soon get over it.

5. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    The school that agreed to give me the refresher classes for $225.00 per 8 hr a day told me today that I don't need more classes... instructor said I am fine and just need to go get a job and self confidence will come back... today was my second day and I wanted to practice more backing on Thursday and Friday cause my backings suck... but they couldn't offer more than a couple backings between cones in their yard... one alley dock and one offset backing... they said there was nothing else they could offer....
    So, I will have to get a job and practice my backings in real life situation....
    BTW, next year there will be no more refreshers at any school. Anyone wanting to take refresher classes will have to apply for the whole CDL program n be tested again.

6. N00bLaLoosh

N00bLaLoosh Road Train Member

May 13, 2021
    Novi, MI
    Yeah, I just found out about that last week. I'm having some med card issues right now and there's a good chance it will lapse this month and if that happens Michigan is going to pull the license and I won't be able to just test to get it back, I'll have to go through school if I want the license back.

Rideandrepair and Rocks Thank this.
  7. ZhenyaP1991

ZhenyaP1991 Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2014
    I cant imagine learning how to back these days. All megas pretty much got new auto shifts which requires 90 psi to get into gear. I used to love finding a hard place to back into, but with these new KWs and Petes, it's pretty much impossible now.

N00bLaLoosh and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  8. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    You can go online and change the status of your cdl as exempt. Once you get your med card, download it, to certify. Then change status back. I had to do it last year, while waiting for Medical test results.

N00bLaLoosh Thanks this.
  9. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Best way to practice backing is in an empty lot, with good lines painted on the ground. No one around. Take all the time needed. Can’t GOAL enough. I hit a tanker last week, bent the fender on it. Waiting on the bill now. I should have gotten out and looked. Had an audience and was pressed for time. What can I say? I know better. Still happened. You’ll definitely get the hang of it. Takes practice. A lot of backing. No one silver bullet for every situation. Just keep practicing. The more the faster you’ll get it.

Speed_Drums and N00bLaLoosh Thank this.
  10. N00bLaLoosh

N00bLaLoosh Road Train Member

May 13, 2021
    Novi, MI
    Thank you brother, you are a gentleman and a scholar and there aren't many of us left.

Speed_Drums and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  11. Wargames

Wargames Captain Crusty

Jul 22, 2010
    WI.
    absolutely, my advice is, if your not sure, get out and look, dont care how many times you have to get out and look, but do it.
    dont guess, and practice , practice. you`ll get it. never guess, that will get you in trouble. you can do it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.