having trouble shifting

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by msfern29, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Cyclesdalecummins07

Cyclesdalecummins07 Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2011
    slidell, la
    I'm not sure if this has already been suggested but have you tried to shift the split gears on the top side like a super ten? What I mean by this is when you want to split the gear move the button, clutch in pull out of the gear then clutch in and put it back into the gear. This will use the double clutching technique you were taught in school and break torque off the trans so it will shift.

Hope this helps some. And like most people have already said take in slow. The way I would shift would be to float it in so I would just button shift release the throttle and let the transmission do the work.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KJ4

KJ4 Light Load Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Cumming, Georgia
    We where taught progressive shifting. Bottom line is that out of a 170+ hour course I may have 6 hours total driving and shifting a truck and that includes the 40 min CDL driving test. So don't feel bad. All of the trucks we trained on where straight 10's; 1 to 5 then hit the splitter and 6 to 10. We trained in old Freightliners and tested in a Mack. Every truck shifted a little different. Even though a lot of drivers float the gears the instructors told us that the companies want to see double clutching.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.