Having trouble sleeping while training.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by cal2neva, Feb 28, 2007.

1. LeadfootSlider

LeadfootSlider <strong>Queen of the Confused</strong>

Jul 15, 2006
    Crystal Spring, PA
    Cal2Neva didn't say he had a history of anxiety or claustrophobia. He said he was having anxiety attacks, which quite realistically could be brought on by a completely new job and lifestyle, dealing with the unknown.

And most of my students had problems with the small spaces til they got adjusted to the new environment. Once they made it through the adjustment period all of them did fine, except for one but she had other issues far beyond what any one but a trained doctor could help.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. possumbelly

possumbelly Bobtail Member

Valerian is an herbal sleep aid ...much like melatonin but works a little better

4. brinkj23

brinkj23 "Asphalt Cowboy"

Dec 26, 2005
    Minnesota
    If you're teaming get ear plugs, and a fan to make noise. Also found it helpful to put a thick blanket over the black curtain, it will help quiet the outside noise. Also talk with the other driver to close the doors quietly and to keep the speed and radio at a reasonable rate. Also it is a bad idea about the sleeping pills, they are on the dot's no go list or whatever its called. If you get in an accident after taking pills the night before and they sense it in your system it is bad news for you.

5. teachmebouttrucking

teachmebouttrucking Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    The deep breathing is a great idea, also the thinking about your dream house. For me when I get really stressed I do the only thing I remember from a yoga class I took years ago.
    Close your eyes and concentrate on relaxing every inch of your body start with your scalp, then your eyes and face and lip muscels then your neck, shoulders and back then on down all the way to your toes if you make it that far all the while takeing deep soothing breaths it also helps if you put on soft music like Enya, or Kenny G or what ever you like. On my Ipod I have got different playlist one for while I am driving and one for sleeping or relaxing.

6. VetsJetsnGuns

VetsJetsnGuns Bobtail Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Jackson, Wi
    this is what the FAA (or thier designee) has to say about sleepig meds:

Sleep Disorders- Sleep prevention medications, such as Provigil (Modafinil), are not approved by the FAA. Most sleep aiding medications are NOT approved by the FAA. This includes:
    • Halcion (Triazolam)
    • Restoril (Temazepam)
    • Sonata (Zaleplon)
    Ambien (zolpidem) may be acceptable to the FAA on a case by case basis with 24-48 hour wait after use. Over-the-counter medications such as Tylenol PM or Excedrin PM (Acetaminophen, Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride) may be acceptable for temporary insomnia with a satisfactory grounding period. Melatonin is approved for pilots WITHOUT sleep disorders. MORE

7. pinola flash

pinola flash Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2009
    I am in my 6th week of training had a problem sleeping because my trainer snoors so loud I bought ear plugs did'nt help, I bought a portable c.d player with sea waves music and tylenol p.m. works great 2 more weeks and I get my truck can't wait, training going well, We don't team I do all the driving

8. smokyjuan

smokyjuan Light Load Member

Mar 26, 2009

When I trained with Crete Carrier my trainer would drive about 3 – 4 hours a day. I talked to others that had trained with Crete and they did all of the driving and the trainer did none. Talk to your company. If your trainer is driving 8 hours a day perhaps you are really team driving and need to be with another company.

Pinola flash, what company did you train with.

9. panhandlepat

panhandlepat Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2007
    i think ya misread the post there smokey :biggrin_255:

10. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    One thing that helped me in making things easier was befriending a truck driver and learning the trade from him. He introduced me to the confined spaces and told me good tips. As U2 exit said, once you get used it, all is okay.

To me its more in the mind. Try several things: IE sleeping with a stuffed animal, a photo of your family by your side or hugging a pillow.

KH

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.