Hazmat Endorsement cancelled my CDL?

Discussion in 'Hazmat Trucking Forum' started by Generictrucker, May 11, 2022.

1. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana

That was my suggestion, not to op, but another member's situation.

As you describe, its MUCH more annoying than simply renewing your license, but i also wasnt suggesting he let hazmat expire, but to keep it (and go through the appropriate hoops to jump through to do so). Simply because of the extra hassle it is to add it back after the fact, it seems the process is similar but even worse.

tscottme and CAXPT Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Very Metal

Very Metal Light Load Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Dirty South,Tn
    I am a TN resident and just went through the confusing process. Started driving in 2016, got X endorsement(Haz and Tanker) had the TSA process, fingerprint, background check ok, X endorsement test out at DMV all OK. In early march I get a letter from TN that Hazmat expires in June, if Hazmat not renewed, CDL not Valid. I get to TSA, do threat assesment fingerprint,etc. On hometime last week show up at DMV for Hazmat test(was stated in letter from Nashville DOT that it would be a testout) they tell me I do not need to test out on Hazmat, or Tanker because my License actually Expires Feb/2024. It only would have expired if i had not gone and done the TSA threat assesment/ fingerprint which was right at the 5 year mark from my first test.
    DMV also tells me that when my license expires,FEB/2024, Tanker endorsement never falls off , only Hazmat.
    This result is not what is stated in my letter received from Nashville. Of course no one answers the phone over the holiday week, DMV woukd not give me a letter stating anything, they just told me TN has not updated their notification ptorocol fully, a lot of confusion on the process. I will hopefully talk to someone this week just to make sure and request they update info they send to drivers. The day I went to do the Hazmat test, i had to plan my day, waited 3 hours at the DMV line, and then tolld i didn't even need to test out yet, wasted a day of hometime.

tscottme and CAXPT Thank this.
  4. JrDaTrucker

JrDaTrucker Bobtail Member

Aug 8, 2022

What did you end up doing? Im From TN and i just got put out of service for the same thing. The only thing is I’m in Washington State and i have a delivery tomorrow, sound like I’m not making the delivery date and I have to fly back to TN to get it straighten out. How easy was it to fix?

5. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    I know someone who had this happen to them... They had to redo their entire written test, do a road test, apply for hazmat, get fingerprinted...all told it was about six weeks off work as I recall. Treated them like a brand new driver.

6. JrDaTrucker

Aug 8, 2022
    I hope that’s not the case. Im a 1truck 1 trailer operation and can’t afford to sit for 6months

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  7. Very Metal

Very Metal Light Load Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Dirty South,Tn
    It was explained to me, if Hazmat expires, it only " falls off", and you need to either get a new license without X endorsement, or just get the test and a new updated DL. It just doesn't make sense to kill the validity of a drivers CDL status, if only Hazmat expires.

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  8. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    In at least SOME states (Illinois among them) this is unequivocally not the case. I don't know if this is a federally mandated process that actually DOES apply to all states, but I would urge drivers not to assume hazmat will just "fall off" and leave your CDL intact. I personally know someone who assumed the same thing and lost six weeks of work.

9. JrDaTrucker

Aug 8, 2022
    Yes, i just ended up going to the DMV and getting one without the (X)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.