Hazmat insurance question

Discussion in 'Hazmat Trucking Forum' started by trantrain, Jul 29, 2018.

1. trantrain

trantrain Bobtail Member

Jul 12, 2018
    So I had a fella telling me that if I decided to become an o/o, my insurance would be higher than normal because I have hazmat on my license even if I don't take hazmat loads. Is this true? I see that it would make sense if I was carrying hazmat loads but if I was carrying non hazmat loads why would i have to pay hazmat insurance? Very confused here...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DTP

DTP Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    If you have hazmat, there’s always the possibility you can take hazmat loads. You may decide not to, your call, but to them you have the endorsement so they assume you’ll use it. And hazmat obviously carries risk and extra liability in the event of an incident so they have to cover their own butt. Simple as that. They won’t just take your word for it

Trucking in Tennessee Thanks this.
  4. trantrain

trantrain Bobtail Member

Jul 12, 2018
    Ah okay I see. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I just got all my endorsements and am tgetting Into LTL but sometime in the future I would try to be an o/o. How would I get the hazmat endorsement off my license? Just wait 5 years and not renew it?

5. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    False.
    I have hazmat and my insurance doesn’t charge me more. And I don’t haul it anyways. To many regulations. I have it cause you never know, got to be prepared though.
    Today’s shippers have to follow shipping regulations when it comes to Hazmat materials.

Edit;
    If you become O/O for the first time .... your gonna pay $$$$$$ for insurance regardless. Maybe that’s what you heard.

Dave_in_AZ and whoopNride Thank this.
  6. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Just having the endorsement does not effect your insurance rate. I wouldn't get rid of it.

Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  7. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    If you tell them you arent insuring for hazmat tbey wont and I guarantee you don't any hazmat loads if it you don't have hazmat insurance, no broker's going to bite that bullet.

8. roshea

roshea Road Train Member

if you are talking about having your own authority, that alone does not allow you to pull hazmant loads. You need additional paperwork to do that, without that you do not have permission to haul hazmat as you are not designiated as a hazmat carrier. It has nothing to do with your CDL. You could be a hazmat carrier and not have it on your license. In that case you as the carrier would be allowed to haul hazmat, but you as the driver could not haul it, only a CDL holder with the endorsement would be legal.

likewise loads that contain hazmat but do not require placarding (in general under 1000 lbs) are not considered hazmat loads and can be transported by any CDl driver no need for the endorsement nor the carrier to have hazmat credentials.

So if your insurance company is honest about rates just having the endorsement on your CDL would not result in a premium increase unless you also get the required hazmat paperwork, part of which requires proving you also meet the additional hazmat insurance requirements before they will issue the papers.

whoopNride and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  9. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Well said, keep it low key. We don’t want @x1Heavy to chime in.... he’s capable of writing a book on this with one post. :D

10. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    I also have doubles and triples endorsements and my insurance co has not charged higher rates because of it.

11. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Now that's not true about a broker giving you a load without hazmat insurance.

Because twice I've been at a shipper, and saw them flatly reject the truck / driver because he didn't even have the endorsement!!!

Brokers care about nothing.

The shippers that do hazmat have told me it happens all the time.

Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.