hazmat question

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by TowHaul, Feb 14, 2019.

1. TowHaul

TowHaul Medium Load Member

Mar 7, 2016
    i have my hazmat endorsement on my cdl, it is current. I am hauling a empty small very light duty fuel tanker. The shipper left me with no paperwork other than a traditional bol. What do i need to stay compliant or at least skate by weight stations without issues? They actually covered the placards.... i left with load and dont want a problem down the road. Also the tanks are?empty but NOT cleaned out or devaporized by certified tech. What are my options? I have never ever hauled a certified load since i got my endorsement around a year ago (10 months ago).

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TowHaul

Mar 7, 2016
    tank says 100LL AVGAS 500 gallon

4. Biomagnum

Biomagnum Light Load Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Carry the required paperwork, mark the tank empty on the BOL, list the UN number and product name, then residue only.

beastr123, Bean Jr. and x1Heavy Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Get a batch of keller forms that have a special provision for HM loading. Check off the box that is a bright color column under the heading HM Y/N

GET a Hazmat Guide it's about the size of a cigerette pack and lists both UN numbers, Diamond Classes and product Number for Domestic as well. You should in a few moments know exactly what has to be done should you have a problem with a given product. Some of these things require you to evacuate 10 miles radius among other actions. I don't know about you but it will be difficult to get a move along to the yankees at 2 am near Philly in the million or so when there is a whoopsie. Your life might depend on having that book to the current year.

6. miszel

miszel Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2016
    You also need tanker endorsement on your license to transport tanker truck no matter if its empty or not

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    THIS.

This poster knows his stuff. Even more than I do.

If you ever cared to learn from me, always cross check with someone who actually knows his or her stuff in facts. Ive gone along so many years with this stuff I forget more than I remember. Unreliable retention of the knowledge. I may or may not fail the knowledge part of the Endorsement HM test right here but frankly some of those questions are the same ones asked 50 years ago. Nothing to lose.

8. Anywhichwaybutloose

Anywhichwaybutloose Light Load Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Unless that tanker has been purged of all residue and fumes, the UN number of the last commodity hauled must be displayed on the placards.

mitrucker Thanks this.
  9. TowHaul

Mar 7, 2016
    i do NOT need a tanker endorsement to haul a empty tanker (even if not purged...look it up, ill try to find exemption). I do still have my tiny hazmat booklet. Sooo

i need my endorsement on cdl -CHECK

placards placed on front of my truck, sides and rear? (can be placed on hauled mini tanker....i am in a flatbed) -CHECK?

i need my UN booklet handy. -CHECK?

what do i need for BOL and readily available paperwork and where can i get it again?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  10. TowHaul

Mar 7, 2016

Is this all i am missing? Also i need to hand write on my BOL what specifically again?

11. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    BOL under hazmat needs to be marked as such. In general there is a special colored box or column on those bills under "H/M Y or N" Such bills need to stay with the truck ready to be accessed by Fire at any time. (Usually in the door pocket)

And information needs to be with the bills for emergency contact phone that is ready to answer 24/7 in case there is a big problem with the load and so on. You also will be limited in where you can park that HM truck and trailer among other things. But having good BOL is a decent start.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.