Hazmat $$

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Kingty9183, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    If you are paid by a percentage of the line haul, then hazmat definitely pays more. In the oil field hazmat typically pays 20-25% more than regular freight.

When you go in to get fingerprinted for hazmat, also get fingerprinted for TWIC. There's a fee for each of them. Most companies reimburse you for those costs.

TripleSix, FlaSwampRat and kemosabi49 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Doesnt pay much if any more, If your hauling for a freight company and doing the occasional hazmat load. If your hauling for a company who does mostly or only hazmat. It pays much better.

tscottme and Lepton1 Thank this.
  4. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Retired,In my shop in Md.
    I've had hazmat and all endorsements since this class system,and hazmat started. Everytime you renew your cdl license,you have to take the hazmat test again. At least here in Md. Test wasn't all that hard when it started,but tougher now. Study,or you'll fail it.

Lepton1 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  5. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Hazmat pays. Magnum will pay you one cent more per mile for all your miles just because you have hazmat. They pay 5 cents a mile for hazmat loads. You'd be surprised. Cola concentrate is a hazmat load.
    I've also picked up cola concentrate in Pa. Along with small amount of cleaner that was flammable. Plackard not required for flammable. Small enough amount. No problem with tunnels on I70 PA. It depends on what your hazmat load is. The cola was (if I remember right) corrosive. Not a problem in the tunnels. The shipper made sure of all of this. Follow their directions. Their written directions with the hazmat.

tscottme, Lepton1 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  6. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    KLLM recently bought a company called Ecoshield. I dont know much about the company yet except they handle mostly Hazmat loads. So far they only hire owner operators but thats supposed change soon. It was a company with about 50 drivers but it will probably grow now that KLLM can put all their money behind it.

FFE terminal in Lancaster is littered with Ecoshield trailers and no there is no place to park half the time. We parking in the Isles and along the sides blocking off empty trailers. Its annoying because so many KLLM trucks, and they have a HUGE terminal in Jackson that FFE doesn't use at all. Our terminal is small by comparison.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  7. LDLWells

LDLWells Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2019
    Some companies require hazmat just to keep the riff raff out. Saves them a little money on background checks

bentstrider83, Lepton1 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

HazMat pays more IF YOU WORKFOR A GOOD COMPANY. Just adding HazMat to your CDL may not boost your pay. DON'T WORK FOR CRST, CR ENGLAND, WESTERN EXPRESS.

bentstrider83 Thanks this.
  9. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    LTL and Tanker are known to be one of the best paying and work life BALANCE jobs. So yes Hazmat pays more. Only jobs like UPS parcel and Walmart pay well without hazmat that has a lot of hometime or home daily even.

FlaSwampRat and Lepton1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.