Headache Rack Mandatory?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by charris, Jul 10, 2017.

1. charris

charris Bobtail Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Burton, OH.
    Is it Mandatory to have a headache rack when hauling 39' rail or pipe? if someone could help would appreciate it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
  4. soloflyr

soloflyr Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    Headache rack isn't mandatory by any regulation, but some companies require o/o's to have them, like UVL & American Eagle.

5. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Headache racks are no longer required by law. Carriers and customers may require them before leasing or loading

I personally prefer to have a rack for storage. But simce I never relied on it to protect me from stupidity, a rack is a luxury to me, not a necessity. Indeed, my current truck doesn't have one. But I do have storage racks in the trailer for my chains and binders, so I don't miss it.

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Not required.

I loved the one I had. Particularly for chain and binders. Something like between 20 to 30 sets of em. And toss in a bunch of more heavy things made of steel, rust and headache.

7. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Retired,In my shop in Md.
    Had ProTech in Vancouver,Wa. custom build this rack to my specs.The main reason was to eliminate the heavy steel frame mounted exhaust brackets that held the mufflers on.Just mounted the mufflers directly to the rack,saved weight overall,and increased storage.Had them build the stainless storage box behind the fuel tank at the same time.Hope these pics work,not sure about photobucket anymore.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    YOU might want to recount. Even on a load of pipe I would not come close to that many. I carried 14 each 3/8" chains of which 3 were shorties. I also carried 8 each 1/2" chains and binders for all chains.

The biggest difference was that I could be hooked to a flatbed. Stepdeck or rgn at any time and sometimes in the same day.

I used all 14 chains one time. The fabrications are getting old. Right now I am carrying 12 chains.

9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I'm a firm believer in headache racks. No they won't stop a 30k lb piece of steel but they sure as hell will protect the back of the cab from rocks being tossed off the drives or from being bumped while loading. Plus extra storage. To me its a no brainer but that's just my opinion.

Blue jeans, HighCountry, Jazz1 and 6 others Thank this.
  10. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    And it's worth what you paid for it....:D:p:D

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.