Headache rack

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by WREN, Sep 2, 2020.

1. WREN

WREN Medium Load Member

Jul 17, 2017
    Florida panhandle
    I posted this in the o/o as well but figured here might be better.

Ok guys, those of you running this style on your trucks, how do you have them sitting? I bought this to put on my 379, but looking at it, not sure I can. The distance from out of the frame rail to the left of the fuel fill is 23 inches, the same distance as the inside of the box mount to the outside edge of it. So, it's going to cover the fuel fill unless I move it further forward. However, it would have to be way farther forward to get between it and the sleeper extensions. What yall think? Add a spacer to get it the sit higher on the frame rail to give me the room?

Attached Files:

cke Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    We run the same rack on some of our trucks. We had to roll the passenger side tank to be able to get to the filler. You lose a bit of capacity but it works and is free. It will also cause your fuel gauge to be off.

Blocking the rack up would work but will be complicated because the rack mounts through the side of the frame. D5BD582B-1041-4CB6-986F-88E4902940EC.jpeg

cke, shawnhhllc and Tug Toy Thank this.
  4. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I think you will want a spacer anyway as you have dissimilar metals. Steel frame and and aluminum enclosure/rack.

The legs on a typical enclosure raises the floor at least 6-8", plus 1/2-1" rubber spacer should be plenty of clearance to fit a fuel nozzle into.

cke Thanks this.
  5. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    I sure do like the way them boxes are. Mine was second hand and not quite that fancy. But someday if I can afford a brand new spanky box.........

cke and kylefitzy Thank this.
  6. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    I think the OP box is tall and sits right down on the frame ( rubber spacers still ) but legs are built into the inside of the box?

7. WREN

WREN Medium Load Member

Jul 17, 2017
    Florida panhandle
    Yes, it sits right on the frame, no legs. Also, there will definitely be something between the 2 metals.

8. beastr123

beastr123 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Moose Jaw SK CAN
    You might find it possible to slide the fuel tanks back just enough in their straps to give you access.

cke and WREN Thank this.
  9. WREN

WREN Medium Load Member

Jul 17, 2017
    Florida panhandle
    I will definitely look at that tomorrow.

cke Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.