Headache Rack?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by MR.D, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Pete_379X

Pete_379X Super Chrome

Jul 4, 2007
    Arkansas
    I used to do this when I ran sheet steel. It works really well. I can't stand a break over binder though.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. crazy35752

crazy35752 Light Load Member

May 23, 2006
    scottsboro,al
    I used to do that myself it works great for sheet steel and rebar

4. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    You definitely need a rack. I thought it was a DOT requirement, but I guess it isn't. The 6 x 6 timber idea of Calinn's is a #### good one. Sounds like it'd hold up well on most loads.

Lots of drivers have seen what Wise has seen. My best friend in high school had an uncle who hauled logs with no rack to speak of. I think he drove that thing for twenty years before his luck ran out. He took up permanent residence in a cemetery after a log went through the cab and introduced itself to his skull. He'd probably still be alive today if he'd had a rack on that thing.

5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I thought it was. I was under the impression that you had to have one either on the tractor or the trailer, but not necessarily both.

6. wackywoodie

wackywoodie Bobtail Member

May 14, 2007
    Pekin, Il
    and as for the company driver ask what the policy is on additions to the truck, some will alow them aslong as their mechanics install the add ons, but in the same turn what is put on the truck is now company property and you will not get it back or get paid for putting it on. a couple hundred or getting outa a killer accident, I would spend a few hundred I look at it this way if they just provide me what it takes for me to be DOT safe then I will have to go out and spend some money to ensure that I am safe to my standards, for example three triangels just don't make me feel safe, that is why I'm picking up turbo flares (electronic LED Flares) the company will not pay for them even though they are dot approved, and i will pick up a few other things too, but most of what I'm going to pick up dosen't attach to the truck, at most it will be a mount or two that I would have to replace at most.

7. sealbeam

sealbeam Bobtail Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Fountain Valley, CA
    Can someone tell me:

1. What is a "headache rack"

2. When a trucker says he is going to "get an overhead," what does that mean?

3. When you are about to pull away from a stoplight from a full stop, is it necessary to use the clutch brake to shift into gear?

Thanks.

8. brinkj23

brinkj23 "Asphalt Cowboy"

Dec 26, 2005
    Minnesota
    A headache rack is something on the back of a flatbedder or tanker truck that would help prevent the load coming inside the truck if there was an accident, also used for tool storage. If you were sitting at the stop light in neutral then yes you would have to use the clutch brake to get it into gear, but most put it into gear when rolling slowly at the stop light and hold the clutch in.

9. sealbeam

sealbeam Bobtail Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Fountain Valley, CA
    Thanks, Brinkj, for your answer.

What about "getting an overhead"? It sounds like it's some sort of maintenance or check, rather than a top-end overhaul.

10. User Name

User Name Light Load Member

Aug 20, 2008
    Midwest
    It's a protective device on the back of a tractor or front of a trailer to help stop sliding loads from getting to the driver. Just search this forum, it's been discussed in detail lately.
    Adjust the valves in the motor.
    Personally I never push the clutch all the way down to the clutch brake while in traffic. I'll downshift to the lower gear when I come to a stop & hold in the clutch.

I've had trucks that the clutch brake didn't work & it's a pain unless you turn off the truck....put in gear... push in the clutch... & start the truck.

sealbeam Thanks this.
  11. Brooks Trucking

Brooks Trucking Bobtail Member

Oct 19, 2008
    pelzer,sc
    I've just bought my own truck and I need chains,tarps,and definetly a headache rack so if anyone knows where I can get some good, used, stuff cheap then please feel free to share.:biggrin_255:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.