Headed to orientation this weekend.

Discussion in 'PTL' started by countryboy2870, May 24, 2014.

1. boss2255

boss2255 Bobtail Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Yeah I was in Murray just about all day yesterday. What were you there for

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Ugly

Big Ugly Light Load Member

Feb 9, 2014
    North Carolina
    I had to change trucks since the clutch went out in my other one. I also got talked into taking a lady to New Jersey to pick up a truck she was assigned.

4. boss2255

boss2255 Bobtail Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Did good on miles today 690.

5. countryboy2870

countryboy2870 Bobtail Member

May 10, 2014
    Joshua, Tx
    Well I made it through orientation and P1 pretty well. Got about 15000 of P2 done, was running close on my 70 hour clock, so I called and told them I may have to do a 34 restart, at which point they made the mistake of telling me they would go in and "fix" my log book so I would have more drive time. While I appreciate the effort in trying to get me more miles, I don't like messing around with Federal DOT laws.

Monica (P2 dispatcher) was a nightmare...It didn't matter how nice I was to her, she never had one good thing to say. I guess I can understand her being cranky part of the time, since she had to deal with all us P2 driver, but not all the time.

Talking to some of the solo drivers, it didnt take me long to figure out the majority of the miles went to the P2 teams. From a business perspective, it does make sense to have a truck running nearly 24 hours a day at .30 cents a mile vs a truck running only 11 hours a day at .33 cents a mile.

Most of the trailers I picked up had ABS problems. There is also a serious lack of inter-departmental communication.

There are a lot of good things about this company, but the crap, in my opinion, tends to outweigh the good...

6. boss2255

boss2255 Bobtail Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Well 17000 miles in almost finished with my P2 phase.

7. DMungioli36

DMungioli36 Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2013
    hammonton,nj
    I got about 5,000 in phase 2... My partner has just over 20k.... But our dispatch Monica is a #####

8. boss2255

boss2255 Bobtail Member

Jun 1, 2014
    How long you been in phase 2

9. Big Ugly

Big Ugly Light Load Member

Feb 9, 2014
    North Carolina
    Boss I'm with you on so much that you wrote above. Especially about Monica (I did give advance warning about her didn't I? Enough P2 drivers have said the same as you almost verbatim.) & the junky trailers.

As as to the miles & pay, let's qualify that just a little. PTL, in my experience thus far, will run you as much as you can legally run. I average just over 2700 a week myself. If I push it I can do 3000 per week if I want. The only reasons I've had to sit is because either I wanted to or I messed up my PTA. Now it is true the west coast turns are reserved almost exclusively for P2 teams. They can move it quickly on the cheap & make a nice profit from some big paying customers with deep pockets. It makes sense in that way. As a solo you'll be all over Texas & points east. Lots of Mississippi & Tennessee too. It's enough to keep you busy.

About the logs. These electronic logs, you'd be surprised, are very easy to make mistakes on. The folks who work in logs constantly make adjustments & corrections to them after you approve them then send it back to your QC for you to review & approve. Sometimes it results in more time being added to your 70 other times it takes it away. You're still in the early learning phase of your trucking career so coming from somebody with experience I suggest it's not a big deal. The DOT is looking for major violations come audit time. Adjustments to digital logs, which you can even do yourself by the way if nobody has showed you yet, is fairly common. So I wouldn't let that keep me awake at night.

Keep your chin up your almost there!

10. bamarac

bamarac Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2014
    I have been driving for 30 + years and PTL is by far the worst company I have ever worked for. In the month I have been here i have brought home $480 and 2 zero paychecks, even though i have been out here all but 4 days of the month. They leave you sitting too long and the loads are crap. The fleet managers are rude and would rather lie when the truth sounds better. Good luck on getting home time, and if you refuse a load you will sit for the entire day. It is supposed to be no force dispatch but that isnt yhe case . I went through the lease purchase and it has been the worst decision I ever made.

11. boss2255

boss2255 Bobtail Member

Jun 1, 2014
    ####. How long have with PTL bamarac.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.