Heading For Little Rock! Maverick

Discussion in 'Maverick' started by JimTheHut, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Danfromwindsor

Danfromwindsor Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2010
    Missouri
    Pegasus if he gets an iphone with unlimited data he wobt need a laptop. I have used my smartphones for over three years now and dont miss my laptop for internet a bit. If he feels the need for a laptop he can tether his interney connection thru his iphone.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ravister

ravister Bobtail Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Michigan
    Hey there JimTheHut, I have spent about 4 months reading up on first hand experiences people have had with various trucking companies and schools. It has been mentioned several times that perfection does not exist and different places suit different people- well threads like this one with input from you and others like notarps, sarge, sewerman and many other regular posters have helped my decision making process. Tentatively (pending school completion and CDL) heading to Little Rock for orientation starting Oct. 23rd :biggrin_25519:. Thank you for sharing your experiences, getting info straight from the people who are actually in the field as opposed to those who are not helps to get a clearer picture of how things actually work... i see it as jumping in feet first as opposed to head first at this point. Hope to see some of you out there- be safe.

sewerman Thanks this.
  4. BusDriver

BusDriver Bobtail Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Minooka, IL
    So. Did you get on w/Maverick? How is that reefer division? I am hoping to get on there.

5. BusDriver

BusDriver Bobtail Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Minooka, IL
    Still learning this chat thing. This was supposed to go under a guy talking about starting with the reefer division.

6. JimTheHut

JimTheHut Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!
    It would be great to have you back!:biggrin_25514:

7. JimTheHut

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!

I am glad this was helpful! Best of luck to you and hope you get on!

8. JimTheHut

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!

You press the quote button under the thread that you are wanting to comment on and it will show his quote and then you can type what you want!

9. JimTheHut

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!
    I had a fantastic week! 2700+ miles and the best weather you could ask for. The scenery was unbelievable. I was in awe and at times close to tears it was so beautiful!
    Sunday I spent the night at a rest area just outside of Erie. I headed in on Monday morning and got offloaded at GE right away. The next stop was picking up Wheel casings at Hardingger in Erie...only 3 miles away. It was a tarp load that got loaded outside. It was raining in the morning and the guy there did not want to load me because the deck of the truck was wet....duh...
    It stopped raining and he was no where to be found. I went and talked to another fork lift driver and he told me to just go and say something to the office. I asked him if I could track the guy down. He calls him on the radio and tells him that I said it had stopped raining. His comment was "Good For Him" The guy again suggested that I go in and tell the office. I told him that I did not want to get something started. He implied to me that he did not care for this guy. Next thing I know is he is coming out and telling me he would take care of me....I told him how much I appreciated it.
    Got loaded and tarped and on my way. My goal was to make it to the Gary yard and spend the night as I was delivering in Elk Grove Village IL.
    Along the way I get a message telling me to stop at A TA because service was overdue on my truck.
    If I did that, by the time they got done I would be out of hours and not have a place to park. So I got in touch with my new fleet manager and asked him to set one up for me. The next available was 0700 the next morning.
    As I rounded the bend to the yard my 14 hour clock ran out....safe! lol
    I went in to check to see if my appointment had been made, and it was not. So the next one was now 0800.
    Got rolling by 1000 the next morning. This is late for me as most of you know....I like rollling at 0400.
    Got unloaded at Bley LLC. You have to 90 deg alley dock into their dock. What made it fun was the cars parked in the way...lol
    Got a preplan while I was waiting to pick up at US Steel Gary works to pick up skidded coils going to Champion Labs in York SC.
    Got in and got loaded right away with 5 coils weighing 50,090 lbs.
    I drove up until my 14 ran out again and stopped in WV @0100. It was so foggy that I could not make out where the driveway was. I finally found it and got parked.
    I made it to the consignee the next evening and the guy asked me if I wanted to get unloaded now instead of in the morning. I said sure. I spent the night in the back next to a clover field. I enjoyed watching the deer in the field.
    For some reason at about 0100 my qualcom came on and announced very loudly "you have 3 unread messages. I was ready to defend myself when I figured out who the lady was that was talking to me... Had a load to go to Charlotte Pipe for 0700 pick up.
    The directions are for only coming south. They say to get off at 10A. My gps told me to get off at 9 which I ignored because I thought it was wrong. It was correct and I got an adventure driving around Charlotte a bit until it got me back to the correct place.
    Picked up a decent trailer except for the ratchett for the dunnage, going to Elmira Windustrial in Elmira NY. I ended up spending the night next to the river across from Sunbury PA. I could spit in the river out of my window.
    Rolled in a couple of hours before my scheduled appointment and they got me unloaded right away. I had a preplan to pick up in Oswego NY, so I knew where I was going.
    I got there expecting to pick up aluminum coils but was told I was picking up an ingot.
    I asked them was that like a coil...she says no, it is an ingot...a big slab of aluminum.
    "Have you ever been here before?" I said yes, but have never picked that up before.
    I went all the way around to the back side of the plant and the guy was waiting there to load me. It is too large for them to make a coil out of there, so it is going to Logan Aluminum in Russellville KY. He told me that it would make over 360,000 aluminum cans.
    I made it just inside the ohio border and stopped at the rest area/weigh station. The weigh station is closed but the rest area is very nice.
    Made it home around 0745.
    I will head out tomorrow evening after my 34 and drive down and spend the night in their lot.
    Hopefully I will get a load heading to Texas from there.
    So that was my week. I decided to be detailed since I know that there are guys looking at this thread trying to make decisions on where to go.
    The more I talk to other drivers about how their company is run, the more I thank God that I found Maverick as my first trucking company!
    Have a great week! God Bless!:kermit:

MtDewMan and ravister Thank this.
  10. Pegasus

Pegasus Medium Load Member

Aug 27, 2011
    in the universe
    An iPhone will not take DVDs/CDs so that he can play Civilization, MechWarrior, Ascendancy which he likes to play. His desktop is not mobile enough to be used in the truck or he would just take that because those games are already loaded on it :biggrin_25522:. Let's put it this way, when he is home and wants/needs to use the Internet, he just tells me that he needs to use the Internet and then has me do ALL the typing/mouse clicking for whatever he wants :biggrin_2553: (Kind of tough on me when I have already been doing that for 10 or so hours because of my hypermobile wrist/thumb joints getting painful from the overuse.) I will suggest that once he gets an iPhone that he just use it for Internet because he was talking about using it just for email/Instant Messaging (not sure if the iPhone being used with Instant Messaging would afford him with the ability to use the camera like I can on a desktop computer).

11. sewerman

sewerman Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2008
    westville indiana
    would love to have you back at maverick. Always looking for good drivers and don't worry we will hold your tanker experience against you. Geting tired of playing with your hose. LOL

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.