Heading for Roehl Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Roehl' started by Shotsjc, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Shotsjc

Shotsjc Medium Load Member

May 4, 2011
    Albany, N.Y.
    Well the time has come. I am all packed and ready to leave for RDTC in the morning. I have two alarms set and want to be out the door around 5am. I was planning on staying in Elkhart, In, but thanks to some advice from the Roehl forum, I am going to stop in South Bend instead.

I want to say thanks for everyone and all the wisdom I picked up over the last couple of months here in the forums. I am excited and nervous. I will keep you posted on my progress and hopefully will get to meet and thank some of you in person. Stay safe all!

Everett, paoldschool and hindsy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Trucker Jr

Trucker Jr Bobtail Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Elkhart, IN
    Hey, Shots! are you going to Gary for your orientation? I'm going to Roehl, on Monday, also. I'm leaving Elkhart (IN Toll Road exit 96) on Sunday. Anxious to get checked in to the hotel, and get started Monday morning.

4. paoldschool

paoldschool Heavy Load Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Mount Jewett, PA
    He is going to RDTC in Marshfield

5. Shotsjc

May 4, 2011
    Albany, N.Y.
    Sorry I didnt answer. I went to bed really early. I hit the road by 4:30am. Made awsome time. Got to South Bend, IN by 3:15pm. Saw a bunch of Roehl trucks on 90w, including the first one I saw while taking a leak by an overpass. lol. I even saw a couple of Roehl flatbeds for the first time.
    I checked into my motel, the Waterford Estates. Not a bad little place. Indoor and outdoor pool. It has a hot tub, a gym, and a cool Irish Pub though I opted for some really good and extremely HOT Thai food I got near Notre Dame. When they ask you if you want it Thai hot or American hot, get the American or you will pay. lol
    I took a dip in the pool and hit the hot tub before and after dinner. I am going to watch a little tv and get some sleep. I want to get up early and workout before I hit the road for Marshfield. I want to check in as early as possible so I can relax before starting on Monday! Woohoo!
    On a personal note, my poor wife got a flat tire and my five year old ate a dammed penny today. Just what she needs the first day I leave. lol. My mom said whenever my dad used to go away things like that would always happen too. lol. Oh well, she is tough. Gdnite all!

6. paoldschool

paoldschool Heavy Load Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Mount Jewett, PA
    Shotsjc, you are right, that stuff always happens right after you leave the house... I hope your wife has a good support system at home, that will help make your life alot easier. If there are friends or family to help while you are away, it takes alot of stress off of you. I am very thankful for the people that help out my wife while I am away.

7. Unka_D

Unka_D Light Load Member

Jan 19, 2008
    The Open Road, USA
    Shotsjc, good luck to you!!

Just take your time and enjoy... Trucking can be lots of fun if you don't let the little things build into big things....

The folks at RDTC want to help you succeed and all are good people. I'm pretty sure you can seperate the wheat from the chaff by now, so learn what you can and when you hear a story start with "Once upon a time I was......" take it with a large dose of salt.....:biggrin_2559:

Enjoy!!!

transportHER, roehl929 and Shotsjc Thank this.
  8. Shotsjc

May 4, 2011
    Albany, N.Y.
    Well I made it to Marshfield. Very nice town. Clean. lol I told my wife the dirtiest areas on my trip was Albany and Chicago. lol. Man it gets beautiful as you leave Illinois and come into Wisconsin. Spent some time in the pool and hot tub at the Woodfield today. Relaxing. The calm before the storm so to say. lol
    I had a problem with getting connected to the WiFi here but the lady at the desk saved me and allowed me to change rooms. Woohoo! Three weeks without the internet and I would go nuts. I even get better cell service in this room too. Good move!
    I did miss half of Ice Road Truckers tonight due to not knowing it starts an hour earlier than I am used to. Dammed Central Time! lol Oh well, I am off to bed early. Big day tomorrow. 'Nite all.

9. molands

molands Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NW TN
    Get used to central time lol

Shotsjc Thanks this.
  10. notezbngrn71

notezbngrn71 Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Stevensville, MI
    You will live your life in Central time from now on, even at home. Drives my wife nuts...LOL!

Shotsjc Thanks this.
  11. Shotsjc

May 4, 2011
    Albany, N.Y.
    Well day one is in the books. Whew. Information overload! lol Fortunately for me I am obsessed with my newly chosen profession and I have done so much reading on trucking that I was familiar with most of what we covered. There was still alot I didn't know and am a bit tired of sitting in a classroom most of the day. My instructors are Brian and Joe. Both seem like really nice guys and are obviously super knowlegable. I am going to learn everything I can from these gentlemen.
    I went shopping at walmart as to load up with food. I dont want to put weight on while here. I need to keep up my good habits so I got healthy food. I got fast food for lunch and that can lead to bad habits. Oh well, rambling a bit, I need to get my reading for tomorrow done. I want to hit the hot tub and watch a little football. Will update on progress in a day or so.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.