Heading off to Werner

Discussion in 'Werner' started by ccolvin, Nov 4, 2009.

1. busterhound333

busterhound333 Bobtail Member

Dec 24, 2009
    morehead,ky
    i have the utmost respect for our military men but i fail to see why somebody's military back ground is even mention or talked about here on a werner trucking forum...i dont mean no disrespect i just dont get it...:biggrin_25524:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jdsouza

jdsouza Heavy Load Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Port Orchard, Wa
    Because they are alot of people that are seperating from the Military are looking for a new career so why a better place to ask is here.

4. phroziac

phroziac Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    QUOTE=txschwab;1141352]Ive been looking at werner quite a bit as well. I have done tons of research talking with werner driver and reading post on here. It appears they like to put new guys in regional. Regional is a few cents less per mile than otr, then you run where the frieght is, all 48 states. So when going into it, you have to ask if you are willing to run otr at regional pay. If I am wrong someone please tell me, this is not my personal experience, but it is what I have been told on here. They have lots of pros to with this those.[/QUOTE]

Regional is not less cpm per mile in my region. I was told otr would be 25cpm and i am 26-42cpm depending on what they feel like paying me on that load. On MY region, we also get better shag pay, all loads are a guaranteed minimum of $40...if it pays less, its a flat $40. I've had loads where i literally picked up a drop/hook at a walmart DC, and drove it right down the street to a drop yard and went to bed, took 30 minutes......NICE. OTR pays $20 plus milage on loads under 100 miles total. if its 101 miles, you get screwed. I'm midwestern but I live in Michigan, so I mostly do runs from chicago to the east coast. Also just helped out on a conagra dedicated run on the east coast pulling reefers....

But...regional lets you get home more often if you want. I've been as far as Texas, Florida, New Hampshire on midwest... :)
    I worked for crst and never had that problem, but im not saying the settlements were not confusing.

:biggrin_25514:
    they use Eaton Fuller "9 Speed Top 2"...you shift it just like a 4 speed in a car, flip the lever, shift it again, when you get to 8 it automatically goes into 9th. I hate it and i have a lot of problems with mine. no reason to not work here though. However, daycabs have 10 speeds but also have a mercedes engine, which have very poor engine brakes, so they need the extra gear for downshifting...

5. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Several carriers have "special programs" for veterans but all they are trying to do is get the VA money . Vets are better off to avoid the for hire carriers altogether and get civilian jobs driving for government agencies .

6. jdsouza

Dec 18, 2009
    Port Orchard, Wa
    I would like to get a job driving for government agencies as a Retired Veteran with a Classified Clearence do you know where to look for thes job openings

7. jdsouza

Dec 18, 2009
    Port Orchard, Wa
    Regional is not less cpm per mile in my region. I was told otr would be 25cpm and i am 26-42cpm depending on what they feel like paying me on that load. On MY region, we also get better shag pay, all loads are a guaranteed minimum of $40...if it pays less, its a flat $40. I've had loads where i literally picked up a drop/hook at a walmart DC, and drove it right down the street to a drop yard and went to bed, took 30 minutes......NICE. OTR pays $20 plus milage on loads under 100 miles total. if its 101 miles, you get screwed. I'm midwestern but I live in Michigan, so I mostly do runs from chicago to the east coast. Also just helped out on a conagra dedicated run on the east coast pulling reefers....

But...regional lets you get home more often if you want. I've been as far as Texas, Florida, New Hampshire on midwest... :)

I worked for crst and never had that problem, but im not saying the settlements were not confusing.

:biggrin_25514:

they use Eaton Fuller "9 Speed Top 2"...you shift it just like a 4 speed in a car, flip the lever, shift it again, when you get to 8 it automatically goes into 9th. I hate it and i have a lot of problems with mine. no reason to not work here though. However, daycabs have 10 speeds but also have a mercedes engine, which have very poor engine brakes, so they need the extra gear for downshifting...[/QUOTE]

Where in Michigan do you live I currently live in Dearborn we are in the process on Buying a Home in Troy

8. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    http://www.usajobs.gov/

9. jdsouza

Dec 18, 2009
    Port Orchard, Wa
    Thanks I was wondering if that was the web site

10. phroziac

phroziac Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    I live in stevensville, which is near Benton Harbor, which is around the mile marker 30 on i94.

They, and all other major carriers, are realllly funny with hiring in michigan.

11. gilbertbs2000

gilbertbs2000 Light Load Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Carrollton, Georgia
    Any advice for starting with Werner? I'm going to a truck driving school at my own expense and I already have a Pre-Approval Hire with Werner. I also have a few questions about my trainer. How long will I be with a trainer before I get my own truck? (Not trying to say I don't need training or anything just curious). Also, I'm a non-smoker can I ask for my trainer to be a non-smoker as well? And, what is the home time like? Do they work with you pretty good about getting home? I'll be out of the Lithia Springs, GA Terminal (Or Atlanta, GA)

Thanks

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.