Heading to CRST to begin training on Monday Dec 2

Discussion in 'CRST' started by Jake_Blue, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Troubador222

Troubador222 Bobtail Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Cape Coral FL
    It's not too bad. The pay is low to start, but if you are frugal you can make it. After 6 months the pay bumps up pretty well. I went there because they are the only company offering CDL school and training that hires out of my area. I did leave once I completed my contract but that is because I want to go solo. They just gave across the board raises and have started a mileage based bonus program. They are also now paying extra for HAZMAT loads, and the majority of those are things like paint.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jake_Blue

Jake_Blue Light Load Member

Nov 9, 2013
    Lebanon, Indiana
    Don't think I just picked CRST out of the blue... I did my homework, asked around and weighed my options. I do also think that many people go into this career field not knowing what to expect but I do have a family history in career OTR so I know what to expect. I did have another outfit I would have liked to go to for training but I couldn't get any response from them. I'll do my time and next year weigh my options.

blairandgretchen and 123456 Thank this.
  4. Troubador222

Troubador222 Bobtail Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Cape Coral FL
    The toughest part for me was the team environment, trying to live with someone in a space that small. It's going to be a challenge no matter what. But I got through it with the same person, and he and I are friends. We had a good FM who kept us moving, and we established ourselves as a number one rated team. I think communication is the key. I saw people demanding this and demanding that. I came from a situation where my profession had mostly vanished and I was just happy to have a chance and a job.

5. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    You didn't do your homework long enough like most that join this industry and many quit long before their school contract is up.You wanna be a trk driver to make money and support maybe family and pay your bills correct?Had you done a thourghal research on this company you would have known that won't happen with CRST.Are you willing to team with a complete stranger and trusting him with all your belongings?Are you willing to make less then spending money for the sake of earning your CDL.Are you willing to sit for hrs to days waiting for a load when CRST is a team operation?I have talked to many crst drivers in the past and not one was happy.I talked to a husband/wife team,they sat at a petro in York,NE for 3 days.True there are no perfect starter companies but some are better then others.So with that said if this company doesn't pan out like you had hoped,stick with it because you did your homework.Good luck during your carreer.

blairandgretchen and bigdogpile Thank this.
  6. Big Duker

Big Duker "Don Cheto"

Sep 18, 2007
    Weatherford, TX
    No it's not. Not for those hours and conditions. It sucks the big bone. Could make that at a McDonalds every week and sleep in your own bed. It just continues the decline of the trucking industry in America and the growth of the rat outfits and rotten drivers and the wrecks and other problems they cause. But some people have no self respect. It's America and you're free to go ratting if you choose..

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  7. Flatbedn

Flatbedn Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2012
    Missouri
    Dude if you did your homework you would be going there as a last resort. You are honestly setting YOURSELF up to fail like many others that went there know how they are.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  8. Professional-Trucker

Professional-Trucker Heavy Load Member

Oct 31, 2011
    California
    Be careful. If your tired after driving all night at 2-3am, pull over at a rest area, and just go to sleep. Screw it, your life is not worth it. Just let them know your gonna take a nap and will pick it up when you wake up. Your already making little $$. Sleep won't hurt your pay that much. Run the truck 18 max, then you and partner shut it down, every night, if you feel ok, then hey, run, if not. Then. Shut it down.

9. Big Duker

Big Duker "Don Cheto"

Sep 18, 2007
    Weatherford, TX
    Not that many yrs ago CRST Malone was actually a fairly decent flatbed company. If you knew how to work it you could make decent money. Not any more from what my skate buddies tell me. I worked for a man who was leased on and we did fine back in beginning of Barnett Shale play in DFW. He wound up moving on to ACME as they were more oil field oriented.

10. twiztid.trucker

twiztid.trucker Bobtail Member

Dec 4, 2013
    wytheville, va
    If you aren't making money then you aren't doing your job. My co and i have been together since the school in Waterloo... i admit pay starts out slow and aggravating but... now we're averaging 6,000mi a week and i bring home a pretty decent paycheck... you get out what you put in. I heard all the naysayers talking pretty mad crap about crst but if you put in the time and pay your dues the money comes... they'll take care of their GOOD teams... people who ##### complain and whine usually get screwed... just drive and shut your mouth and quit worrying about the chick you left at home because shell probably leave you anyway... hometime is rare but experience is golden... big tip invest in a good cb and lay the hammer down when you can

11. dennisroc

dennisroc Road Train Member

Oct 9, 2013
    Anjung-Ri, South Korea

Congrats, this is the first positive thing that I have heard about CRST !

But I think I will stick with the majority of people and stay clear. Nothing personal but I hear mostly negative things about CRST and I think this is the first positive post.

Maybe if other drivers posted good things their image would change.
    I feel the same way about CR England, just from what I have read.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.