Heading to Millington, TN for training with Swift

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by JpattTrucker, Aug 7, 2013.

1. JpattTrucker

JpattTrucker Bobtail Member

Aug 7, 2013
    London, KY
    Hello all, Just got my confirmation number for my ticket to the Swift Academy in Millington. I've heard the good, the bad, and everything in between but right now in my situation it was the best option for me. If anyone has any tips or advice, I'd really appreciate it and if your heading that way too then let me know... Thanks for the help from all of you, I don't think people realize just how vital this site is to the industry.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Way to go! Best of luck to you.

JpattTrucker Thanks this.
  4. Marky84

Marky84 Heavy Load Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Jefferson, WI
    If there's any other option I'd take it. Took forever for them to train me, tho they did train me good.

just do NOT go to orientation and out with a mentor when you're done, go anywhere else. They robbed me blind after I actually became an employee.

5. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    You know they can go after you right? They paid for the schooling so ur under a contract

6. NY Snowman

NY Snowman Light Load Member

Aug 1, 2013
    Congrats. Some advice for you. Be a sponge. Absorb everything you possibly can. Driving these trucks is not easy and not a cakewalk. It seems alot of new drivers have the misconception driving one of these is like driving a regular car. Stay alert and don't let anyone force you to operate over your head. If you're not comfortable doing something, speak up. It's not worth getting into a bad situation and possibly hurting someone or damaging something all because you're afraid to speak up. take it slow and learn at your own pace. Nobody will fault you for making sure you've got this stuff down before going solo.
    Again, congrats and good luck!!! See ya on the road.

Brian

Marky84, Puppage and JpattTrucker Thank this.
  7. JpattTrucker

Aug 7, 2013
    London, KY
    Thanks guys, I'm definitely not one of those guys NY, I'm more than nervous to get into one of these big trucks lol. I expedite OTR in a Sprinter Van so I pretty much have a good idea of the lifestyle it takes but I also know these a lot more responsibility in trucking. I'll take make responsibility for more money though. It'll make me or break me I guess.

8. luvtotruck

luvtotruck Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Phoenix Arizona
    Well I don't think Swift is the Best place to go, do not leave them for at least a year, if they say that you have to stay a year to pay your schooling back to them then so be it. They will ruin your DAC you credit and anything else they can get out of you if you don't finish the re-payment time. good luck keep it safe!!

JpattTrucker Thanks this.
  9. JpattTrucker

Aug 7, 2013
    London, KY
    Yeah, I definitely won't leave until I pay back what owe then I'm out the door. Trust me, I know there's probably better options but I'm sort of tired of waiting. I've been waiting on Knight and Roll forever and I tried WIA funding and they said all the funds was froze at the moment... That's Kentucky for ya. Like I said before, I've expedited for a while now, sleeping on a twin mattress, driving well past 24 hours at a time only stopping for gas and bathroom breaks (I'm sure that sounds like bs but it's true) and making lousy money doing it. I'm willing to put in my time and deal with the bs if it leads to a better future for myself. There's nothing left in my state, it's drive or go to the coal mines... I have a degree and it's been completely useless. I wanna do something to be proud of (I'm sure that sounds cheesy and dramatic) but there's not a lot of pride in driving a van lol....

10. Marky84

Sep 24, 2012
    Jefferson, WI

Its actually cheaper if u do leave. Only 150$ a month instead of w/e they feel like taking. 1 week they took 200$!

11. Marky84

Sep 24, 2012
    Jefferson, WI
    I left before a year and nothin bad on my dac. And my credits already ###### so :p

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.