Headlight Conversions.

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Ken, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Prairie Boy

Prairie Boy Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
    NAPA sell them.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ken

Ken Couch Commander

Oct 29, 2006
    I ended up installing the Hella H4's.. http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=64

Had to stuff the wires in there pretty good but didn't need any modification..

They're day and night better over the stock lights..

Strider Thanks this.
  4. Gears

Gears Trucker Forum STAFF - Gone, But Not Forgotten.

Aug 20, 2009
    Wish it was that easy for me, but I those composite headlights and about the only mod I can do (which I've already done) is change the bulbs.:biggrin_25513:

Ken Thanks this.
  5. dr1c

dr1c Light Load Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Alberta
    Anyone ever see a conversion for a T800B kenworth with the 2 light system? I cant find anything anywhere...

6. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    I got used Setra headlamp units with clear lens (like on this picture) and I put 60 mm hella Hi/Low beam projector.
    [​IMG]

I got Headlight like on new car,and Hella makes projectors for DOT and EU requirements. It is really good solution.

I did it with classical Freightliners too (like FLA, FLD and other)

7. josh.c

josh.c Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Knoxville, Tn
    Ken, are the lenses on those things plastic or glass?

8. Ken

Ken Couch Commander

Oct 29, 2006
    They're glass..

josh.c Thanks this.
  9. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    BTW, in some states H4 are legal for motorbikes only, but I've never seen cop inspecting headlamp pattern.

10. Ken

Ken Couch Commander

Oct 29, 2006
    I think it depends on the type of H4's you're using. I know the E-Codes are legal for off road use only. But there are plenty of DOT legal H4's..

11. Strider

Strider The Info Monster

Aug 30, 2010
    Kansas City
    Gears,

Your lighting dilemma is one I've puzzled on a bit, but without yet reaching a satisfactory solution... How to convert the "Designer" headlamps on the current US Aero tractors to the much more useful and safer E-Code, Euro spec lighting pattern?

I've used Hella E-Codes since 1992 after nearly having my son and I wiped out by the largest heard of Elk I've ever encountered during a nighttime drive across Wyoming that the stock DOT lights prevented me from seeing until we were surrounded. Many friends are now happily running the E-Codes in their conventional tractors and are much safer as a result.

Earlier today I noticed there was a dealer posting in the Pete Forum, so I posed a question to him that you can find here. Let's see what HE can come up with... IF Peterbilt DOES produce E-Code compliant lenses for export to the rest of the world, it'll be worth whatever the cost to convert to them to those of us who run rural routes regularly.

I imagine many of us RANCHERS:biggrin_255: here in the US... who only run their rigs off-road, will join those from Europe and Canada, where on-road E-Code use is allowed... if NOT required, in making nighttime driving safer for all...

BTW, In Canada, CMVSS 108, through an adjunct called CMVSS 108.1, permits European headlamps

Gears Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.