Headlight Conversions.

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Ken, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Roadking58

Roadking58 Bobtail Member

May 31, 2010
    Surrey,BC
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. headlampman

headlampman Bobtail Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Detroit, MI

HIR bulbs are indeed an excellent alternative to basic halogen bulbs (extra luminous output with no appreciable increase in heat output). However, HIR bulbs were developed as a an upgrade to the otherwise 'fair' performing halogen HB3 9005 and HB4 9006 bulbs used in hundreds of high and low beam applications throughout the 80’s, and 90’s (9005 bulbs are still used widely in high beam applications). In the case of the low beam, the 9012 HIR bulb was based on the very same 9006 bulb base architecture and is therefore only interchangeable with that bulb (well, actually, the HIR bulb base is keyed slightly differently and requires some manual modification, but otherwise maintains the same focal position as a standard 9006 when installed in the lamp).

The bulb shown in the prior link is the 9012 TOSHIBA HIR bulb is indeed a good bulb. However, it is several years old. PHILIPS makes a newer version of the 9012 HIR bulb which has even higher output. This is the bulb I use whenever I have a vehicle with 9006 low beam bulbs. Be careful, though: if you have your headlamps aimed slightly up you may need to aim them back down a bit when using this bulb due to the intensity of the light it generates.

I bought mine here.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  4. Crusty

Crusty <b>Just Plain Crusty</b>

May 29, 2010
    Canton, GA
    Go for it. My eyes need more fatigue.

5. KW Parts Guy

KW Parts Guy Light Load Member

Jul 16, 2011
    If you are ever near Langley BC, stop in, I've got something for you!

6. kenw007

kenw007 Bobtail Member

Dec 12, 2009
    mb canada
    Also looking to upgrade a T800b, would you have a link?

7. sbatson

sbatson Light Load Member

Feb 14, 2008
    Ft Worth, Texas
    Well for under a 100 bucks shipped to my door (on a 07 international) I can replace the sealed beam lights with ones that take a bulb and has a projector and a pair of hid's. Thats putting it in my self all plug and play no mods to do or anything. Im sure it can be done on pete's and kw's for close to the same. Volvos and petes with one housing should be able to change to hid's for less then 60 bucks to your door. Whenever I get a new car or anything the first thing I buy is hid's they cant be beat at all makes a world of difference to night driving.

8. KW Parts Guy

KW Parts Guy Light Load Member

Jul 16, 2011
    DOT approved? What brand?

9. sbatson

sbatson Light Load Member

Feb 14, 2008
    Ft Worth, Texas
    Hid's are all the same cheap ones work just fine. Single beams are like 30 bucks dual beam 60 bucks. I usually get single for the car because I dont ever use the brights no need but we all know we need the dual for our trucks. Im almost positive that they are dot legal. Ive had them for years in my autos no problems and all high end cars have them from factory. The T6 has them to already in there from the factory. The only difference is you can choose what color' the higher you go the color changes-- 4k to 30k from white to a purple color. You will see trucks ever so often that have them. Great investment by far!!!

10. rzl-dzl

rzl-dzl Medium Load Member

Dec 16, 2011
    100 mile house
    even if they say DOT APPROVED, that does not mean they are legal to run.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.