Headlight problem

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Red Hot Mess, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Red Hot Mess

Red Hot Mess Hot Tub Critic

Sep 27, 2011
    Trying to hide from STALKERS
    So, 2 weeks ago when we did our little convoy run I noticed that Cassie had a headlight that was not angled right. I went to the shop the next day and asked them to adjust it for us. The response, " we don't have the machine to to that, but you can use a screwdriver and loosen one of the screws to lower it if you have one."
    Now I may be a woman but I do know a little about mechanics of vehicles. Did they think I was just that naive? :biggrin_25513: Well I let it go since I knew we'd being ATL later that week and I could get them to fix it for me. Well, they were today to do it...but as you all know, getting the shops to fix things is like getting a teen to clean their room! So still no fix. We were back in Jackson yesterday so I again asked, the time they said they wouldn't be able to do it til today, but we weren't gonna be there, do still an unadjusted headlight.
    My question is, should I just see if I can take it to Freightliner to get them to fix it? The last 2 nights I have been flashed by every truck that has passed us. I feel like if I keep waiting it is just rude to the others in the road. Yes, I could probably loosen the screw but not sure that will work like it should and I worry about risking it blowing which could lead to a DOT stop. What should I do?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Truck609

Truck609 Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Arizona
    Not sure what truck you have, and maybe I don't fully understand your question, but adjusting your headlights is a pretty basic task that I'm sure you can accomplish. I do know that some of the newer trucks are a real pain to adjust, but with a little info from you I'm sure someone can help you get them adjusted properly. It generally is just a few turns of a screwdriver though. Unfortunately some of the newer trucks are more difficult and have to be done with the hood open (who came up with those great headlights?) But they can all be adjusted to the best of my knowledge.

4. Bill104

Bill104 <b>Pepsiholic</b>

Dec 27, 2011
    Sacramento,Ca
    Yes they can be adjusted, look for two screws one for side and ine for up/ down, rule of thumb , 25feet from a wall lights should be 3 feet up drivers a little to the right, if my memory is good, there not hard, old ones in front newer ones under hood.

5. Bill104

Bill104 <b>Pepsiholic</b>

Dec 27, 2011
    Sacramento,Ca
    You might want to post truck model someonewillbe able to tell you better location of adjusting screws. And i thought this was going to be a female joke thingy lol.

6. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    For heaven sakes get in there and look at them to see what you need. It's a very simple job and will save a bunch of night blindness for other drivers. Shouldn't even waste a shops time with this adjustment.

John A. Thanks this.
  7. CaptPeabody

CaptPeabody Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2012
    Fredonia, KY
    Most Freightliners require a T-25 torx (sp?) bit driver. I'm not sure about the cascadias tho.

8. dave26027

dave26027 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Dallas, Texas
    If your wagon still has the owner's manual in it, there's a section that explains how you can adjust your headlights yourself. All you need is some kind of a wall or building with horizontal, level lines on it. A garage door, a brick wall, a building with siding on it. You don't even actually need a screwdriver, you can turn the nuts with your fingers- and it's easy.

If you have no owner's manual, you can Google the instructions.

Red Hot Mess Thanks this.
  9. Jimmeyjack

Jimmeyjack Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Apparently in this case, yes you are:biggrin_25525:

Red Hot Mess Thanks this.
  10. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Most headlights are adjusted with a phillips screwdriver. There will be 2 screws per headlight...one adjusts the up/down, the other adjusts the left/right.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/repair/1347221
    Basically, you want both of your headlights pointing ahead of you, not off to either side...although slightly to the right is preferable to slightly to the left. Your low beams should be aimed SLIGHTLY downward...and absolutely no higher than "level".

scottied67 Thanks this.
  11. Pmracing

Pmracing Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Arlington Heights, IL
    If you are still having troubles, call road breakdown and ask if you can have TA/petro adjust it for you.

Mikeeee

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.