Headliner burn marks on the headliner

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Jake 365, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Jake 365

Jake 365 Bobtail Member

Jun 9, 2020
    I work for a construction company with a fleet of 365 Peterbilt tri-axles the trucks are 2017 in2018 four of the trucks had melting burn marks on the headliner above the drivers head they were replaced by Peterbilt after much arguing the Peterbilt I drive has 52 thousand miles on it last week the headliner started to melt leaving long narrow burn streaks above my head Peterbilt claims that it is caused by a reflection from a mirror just wonder if any one has had this problem peterbilts answer to the turn the trucks around and park the opposite way

D.Tibbitt and tnevin225 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    you guys running extra lights (other than factory installed) on the roof?

4. Capacity

Capacity Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Neenah Wi
    Dealer probably fixed it for free just to keep you as a Paccar customer.
    In 35 years this is a first , is your outfit running OEM lights or aftermarket.
    Send Pictures.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  5. Jake 365

Jake 365 Bobtail Member

Jun 9, 2020
    no after market lights or accessories. truck is all stock built from the factory. headliner is starting to crinkle in spots. don't have pictures but will try and get some.

6. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    well, i never heard of the mirror reflections doing this, unless everyone has thier mirrors pointed into the sky. in all my years, i have never had any such issue, and many times, the trucks i was driving or assigned, were old ones. the new trucks i drove or had been assigned, my mirrors were adjusted to look straight back, not up, or down, but straight to the rear of the rig.

the ONLY thing i have witnessed and seen on some websites, is the skin condition a driver gets on his left arm and part of his face, cause the sun is bearing down on him/her.

sun fade can and does happen to nearly any motor vehicle, as the sun's rays come in from the windshield or side windows.

but a headliner, melting, due to the mirrors?

sorry, i don;t buy that.

650cat425 Thanks this.
  7. Jake 365

Jake 365 Bobtail Member

Jun 9, 2020
    no . truck is all stock from factory.

8. Jake 365

Jake 365 Bobtail Member

Jun 9, 2020
    the mirrors are adjusted the way they should be a so=called Technion from the PETE STORE came up with the brilliant idea that it was a reflection from the mirror. and we were told that we were the only fleet of trucks that peter bilt manufactured that has this problem In the country. makes you wonder how the head liner is burndt and melted if it will cause a fire. does anyone have any ideas?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  9. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Sun light ray deflections from shiney objects or through holes in a wall or roof ain’t no joke. They can be bright enough to burn your eyes like a light from a lazer or welder. Makes me wonder what the material would do sitting out in the bright sun light not in the truck. Melt? Must not be very fire resistant either.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    650cat425 Thanks this.
  10. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    well, it's a mystery to me. i ain't never heard of this happening...so, either the mirrors are incorrectly adjusted, or the so-called technician from the PETE STORE, is a newbie, and doesn't know how to adjust mirrors.

good luck in finding the problem

650cat425 Thanks this.
  11. Jake 365

Jake 365 Bobtail Member

Jun 9, 2020

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.