Healthy Eating Tips

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by atlasshruggery, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Longarm

Longarm Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Yeah, that's odd. I haven't bought baby carrots in some time but i never had a problem keeping them 2-3 weeks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BrenYoda883

BrenYoda883 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    I like to be healthy... but, like STexan.... I stive for balance in the amount of food I eat and excersize..

What works for me... because I want to make sure I get a balance of nutrition.. and because I actually like them.. is drinking those little boost and ensure drinks... when I OTR I kept a stock of them.. and would drink at least one a day...

I am not a big eal eater.. I actually prefer to snack through ojt the day.. often healthy snacks.. but I do also enjoy chocolate. .. I really like those Hershey bars with the little air holes or bubbles... I guess I good try to make the case that the Hersheys with air holes is a healthier choice than just a plain hershey bar... lol

Actually one of the reasons I like more physical work... like when I pulled flatbed or was on the dollar general account... is that I get to eat more cause I burn more calories... so bring on the BBQ...

for me... I go more by how I feel.. I know my diet.. whatever I am eating.. be it almonds and yougurt or almond joy and pizza.. if I have energy and feel upbeat..

now.. I will admit.. I do enjoy a nice cold beer on a hot day or a glass of wine... but it is not like I am slamming down while fueling my truck...

4. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    When I bring the sandwich to my mouth, is that considered exercise?

5. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    The food you eat when eating healthy, the mind set I did use is I'm eating healthy, not a diet. Now my food intake consists of more raw foods than processed. Zero transfats.
    IF you look at the American diet since WWII and the explosion of big Pharma and big Agra. Some studies have shown processed sweetners to cause and aid in the growth of cancer tumors. True I don't know.
    heavy that is exercise if its a BIG sandwich.

Dr_Fandango44 Thanks this.
  6. Chasing dollars

Chasing dollars Light Load Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Colorado
    I was following this until he mentioned hummus. Almost yacked up my oreo! Lol

But I keep celery and baby carrots. Not have had a problem with the carrots with slim. And a couple apples and bananas. and a case of water and 3 gallons for cooking. Beef jerky, and tail mix.

7. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
  8. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Eating the whole fruit or vegetable is better because it takes your body extra time to extract the sugar from the fiber. Plus the fiber is so good for your system.

Below is from wikipedia.
    Health Factors[edit]
    Many Naked juices contain more sugar per ounce than soft drinks. For example, Naked's "pomegranate blueberry", which reads "no sugar added" on the label, contains some 64g of sugar - 16 teaspoons in a single bottle. That equates to 1 teaspoon of sugar per ounce of juice. This is even higher than Coca Cola, which has 3.25g of sugar per ounce, or Pepsi-Cola, which has 3.42.[citation needed]

Water is the best fluid to drink. My opinion. I like teas and coffee also.

Rocks, Swedish Chef, Longarm and 3 others Thank this.
  9. Salad

Salad Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2015
    I have found eating healthy on the truck fairly easy. But it does take a little extra time, here are some breakfast ideas for you guys. I manage to do most of my eating in the truck on a 45$ a week budget with a bit left over every week. Three meals a day, with two snacks between. I keep the meals light, so that I end up eating 5 times a day small meals each time. It helps me stay lean and mean. I only need to use a microwave for most of what I make, though I keep a 4 quart crockpot also (rival, 120 none of that 12 volt stuff, it melts to easy.)

Breakfast

Oatmeal
    -1/2 cup rolled oats
    -1 cup water.
    Options
    -Small Handful Walnuts
    -Cinnamon
    -Apple Pieces
    -Banana Slices
    -Strawberry Slices

Instructions
    Microwave the Rolled oats and Water for about 3-4 minutes.
    Add desired options (my personal favorite is Walnut/Strawberry with no cinnamon)

Burritos
    -8 Egg Whites
    -8 Wheat Tortillas
    -1 Cup Shredded Cheese (I like Sharp Cheddar)
    -1 Can Black Beans
    -Dash of milk (any milk)
    -Salsa

Instructions
    Mix the milk, eggs, and beans together, and microwave for about 3-4 minutes, stirring every 1.5 minutes or so. When the eggs are done, spoon onto tortilla top with cheese and salsa, then enjoy. Save the leftovers for no more than 2 days in my opinion.

Also you can reduce the recipe as much as needed.

NoPlanB Thanks this.
  10. taxihacker66

taxihacker66 Road Train Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Concrete jungle.
    You eat 8 burritos for breakfast?:shock:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2015
    Reason for edit: fixed quote
  11. Dreamboat

Dreamboat Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2015
    JopMO
    If your fruits or vegetables don't last, try washing them and placing them in a plastic container with a lid. Place paper towels on the bottom of the plastic container and sometimes on the top of the product as well. Romaine lettuce that is already cut and ready to eat will last a week this way. Raspberries and blueberries and even prepared strawberries will certainly last longer than the predicted 2 days. I have never had a problem with slimy carrots. So, I'm wondering if you're checking the expiration dates on the bags of carrots? Paper towel trick works really well with celery if you wet the paper towels first. Don't let them get soggy, just wet.

Zipper bags work just as well as the plastic container.

Rocks Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.