Healthy eating while on the road

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking in the Truck | Trucker Recipe Forum' started by Commuter69, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Commuter69

Commuter69 Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2014
    For those of you who have dietary restrictions, whether for religious, medical (health), or fitness reasons, how difficult is it for you to pack (and replenish) food / supplements while on the road?

When you are out of stuff and find yourself in the middle of BFE ��, how do you avoid the temptation of fast food or junk food?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I never had temptation while on the road.If you always have an urge for fast food just make sure you buy those special foods and supplements before you do run out.Almost every Walmart has a big enough lot to park a semi.

catalinaflyer Thanks this.
  4. catalinaflyer

catalinaflyer Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Wal-Mart, can get into 95% of them, the selection is pretty consistent across the country and plan ahead. If your starting to get low it's time to stop and replenish. As for avoiding the temptations at the truck-stops, it's tough at first but once your body adjusts to healthier food then let the temptation take over a time or two and you won't be tempted any more after a couple nights of Montezuma's Revenge. If I want to loose a night of sleep and wear a rut in the parking lot between my truck and the building all I have to do is eat one of those fried things at the fuel desk, 100% guarantee of a sleepless night. The fast food joint garbage is no better, the only thing remotely close to healthy at a TS these days is Subway and that's a real stretch to call it healthy.

Epmtrucks and pattyj Thank this.
  5. Commuter69

Jul 2, 2014
    If I do Subway, I order my 'sandwich' as a salad and avoid the carbs. If it's connected to a WalMart or a c-store, I'll add in some cottage cheese and a hard boiled egg....

catalinaflyer and pattyj Thank this.
  6. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    It is easy. I have no fridge or cooler. I just buy fruits and veggies when Home. Don't peel cucumbers or carrots until you are going to eat. Apples, bananas, pears, Avocados, Radishes. Peppers, onions. garlic all these will keep several days. Fruits and veggies you can buy in cups at some truckstops. Most TA/Petro ts have salad bar option. I also like there fish meals.
    Like above Walmart has a large parking lot. I try to get to Grocery stores not just walmart. Easy weight loss is to cut out bread, breaded and breading. Anything deep fried. Also cut out sweeteners. Fake or real.
    Read the book. Salt, Sugar, Fat.

Good luck.

pattyj and Epmtrucks Thank this.
  7. Commuter69

Jul 2, 2014
    I like seafood as well, but I am picky: If I don't know who caught it, or if it wasn't caught in the last 12 hours, I ain't gonna touch it! This leaves out places that aren't on the oceans or along any waterways....

8. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I don't blame you for being picky.You won't find any trk stops with fresh seafood or any fresh food for that matter,its all greasey,over or under cooked.It won't take you long to not have the urge for junk food.Even the candy bars and chips taste stale.

9. 77smartin

77smartin Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2011
    I dunno.
    You can park at Meijers in the midwest...they have a better variety than Walmart.

10. BrenYoda883

BrenYoda883 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    I can not stand fast food... so when I was over the road I always had a good fridge with a small freezer in my truck and kept healthy food on hand.. also kept some boost or ensure on hand...

I love veggie burgers.. and kept boca burgers and such on hand and would grill them up... yummy

WotansVolkman and x#1 Thank this.
  11. BrenYoda883

BrenYoda883 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    You know it really is t hard to eat and live healthy on the road as some drivers like to complain it is... eating and living healthy for someone who eats and lives healthy is like smoking for smokers. .. yet we dont have too manh truckers complaing how hard it is to smoke on the road and asking how they will get cigarettes. ..

If you eat and live healthh then I would thi k walking or jogging is.not out of realm or lifestyle. .. i have jooged to so e feally good restaurants from a truck stop...

Thats why I get a kick when drivers make comments about drivers i. Jogging suits... yeah I am wearing a jogging suit... why would I wear jeans and work boots to jog a few miles to a restaurant. ...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.