Heart Attack Warning Signs

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Baack, Feb 24, 2010.

1. sammycat

sammycat "Oldest Hijackerette"

Apr 11, 2010
    Rochester, NY

very true roadmedic!!! also years of being told that we didn't have cardiac issues it was all 'hormones' and 'nerves.'

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sanahenk

sanahenk Bobtail Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Newport, WA
    Actually there is very less awareness on woman's heart attach symptoms, and I am sure most women are ignorant on them. I am studying a little bit on this, and have come across the Heart Attack Health Center a very good organization who help understand Heart attack better.

4. Remrie

Remrie Light Load Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hardly. :p
    They have to deal with more painful bodily functions but I doubt pain tollorance is any higher considering men have to deal with fights, injuries (war? police? attacks?), physical stress on the body from working hard and/or athletics.

Women piss and moan about pain more than any guy I've ever known. Guys just tend to whine about not wanting to do something :)

5. flyingaseagles

flyingaseagles Bobtail Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Alabama
    I was on a load one time that when I stopped to get out and go to the restroom I barely made it in because I couldn't hardly breath.. Shortness of breath, pressure in my chest. I called Dispatch and told them I think I needed a route for home. I went to the doctor and he dismissed it for stress. I went back out on a 2000 mile run and it got worse, I came home again on the next load, but this time I made an appointment with a cardiologist. I had 78% blockage and he said I was very lucky that I didn't have a heart attack.
    I found out that I have heart disease, and I have two stints in the arteries in my heart now . Don't ignore it I am so glad I didn't..

sprizo Thanks this.
  6. Pumpkin Oval Head

Pumpkin Oval Head Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    I had pain in my back between my shoulder blades prior to my heart attack....
    I have talked with just a few guys that describe their symptoms the same way....

I had never heard of pain in the back as a symptom of a heart attack...I had been having that symptom in the prior months when I would excercise vigorously, as I like to do on my bicycle...but never made the connection. This time, I had tingling down both arms and my brain recognized that immediately as a heart attack and called 911 immediately....this was while I was on a bike ride. :biggrin_25525:

7. annettecj

annettecj Medium Load Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Im one of those, just grin and bear it. Nothing has compared to child birth.

8. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Since this old thread is parked, I'll post in it. I'm sure everyone is different. What I'm experiencing is any exertion and I lose my breathe and my throat hurts real bad along with a tightness of the chest.

I think one common thing many experience is the loss of stamina. Arteries don't clog over night and the gradual change over years might be hard to notice. I've passed numerous EKG's and don't rely on them to say your heart is okay, yet your doctor will think you are.

If you are feeling changes/bad with any exertion, push your doctor for a stress test. It might just save your life. I'm amazed at the newer technology and they can see the blood flow around your heart and where it's not flowing properly.

Being truck drivers, time is your enemy on the road. Don't ever let anyone push you to do one more load or delay you getting home. Get immediate help.

Baack, TheHealthyDriver and sammycat Thank this.
  9. Keepfrozzin

Keepfrozzin Bobtail Member

Sep 29, 2010
    columbus,ohio
    "Done for,all alone!" The children mocking Captain Hook, aboard the Jolly Rodger.

10. nursevb

nursevb Bobtail Member

Apr 26, 2011
    This is so true!

11. BJnobear

BJnobear Heavy Load Member

Aug 24, 2010
    PCB, FL
    I have had ALL OF THOSE SYMPTOMS...

It was ANXIETY!! Stop and do something else than what you were doing. Say you are driving, and you get all those symptoms. Stop and walk. If you make it out of the cab you are OK, if not then well you just became smarter than any living human.

I have gone to the ER with those symtopms

1. Gall bladder was infected.
    2. Acute pepcid dispyasia (Massive heartburn)
    3. Anxiety.

Those cost me over 40k total. But seriously if you are between Ozona, TX and Ft. Stockton, you are dead, even with an airlift. Too far for any medical help. Grand Junction and Green River too!!

What good is 911 when you are 40 minutes or more away from the nearest responder? Tis is part of the life whe chose to live..

OP, Nothing personal but DONT POST THIS STUFF!!!! It makes me paranoid!!!:biggrin_25524::biggrin_25524:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.