Heartland Express (formerly Interstate Distributer Co.)

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by bigblue19, Oct 24, 2017.

1. RumbleTruckin

RumbleTruckin Light Load Member

Jan 14, 2018

I didn't make it up. I didn't get miles, I sat at truck stops a lot of weekends, I #####ed about not getting miles and it got worse like I was being punished. That's great you get miles. The piss poor loads I got and your statement here proves to me that they played favorites to the drivers who were from Interstate before the switch. I had a feeling that was the case. Either way, they are nazi's about that stupid macro 15 and I am glad I don't have to do the job of the planners anymore. Every other carrier I worked for was able to keep me rolling without me doing a eta/pta macro. Basically, you are doing the planners job for them.

Heartless Express.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Nuffy

Nuffy Bobtail Member

Sep 10, 2016
    I don't think so but anything is subject to change. Honestly though I'm curious. If heartland is so bad what are some examples of better alternatives to them? Who other dry van fleets of comparable size are there that pay as well to drivers under 1 year experience? Or at 2 years?

You had to do a ETA/PTA macro to send loaded/empty calls at Schneider and the accuracy of them was tied to your bonus. I wouldn't doubt if swift and Jb hunt had similar systems.

That macro is for the planner to help you. Why wouldn't you help them help you? If it's such an annoying macro for you to send because you don't feel like thinking for 10 seconds then how annoying do you think it is for the DM to have to do for you and 49 other drivers?

It's your job to communicate to your dispatch when you will be ready and how many hours you have. If you refuse to work with them on that then why would they put in any effort to work for you?

51.50 Thanks this.
  4. RumbleTruckin

RumbleTruckin Light Load Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Most carriers don't use eta/pta since they have access to the eld now. There is a lot more to factor, how much is left on your 70, how much you gain afyer midnight and the next day. Not to. mention eta is completely retarded because there is an appointment time for delivery.

That is fine that you like to do work for free, me, I get paid by the mile not by the hour like office people.

Their macro 15 doesn't account for all the factors and they want it right after the loaded call which begs the question why is it not part of the loaded call? My whole career I have sent a loaded call and hit the road. There is an appointment time and that is when I will be there.

5. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Heartland express has earned the reputation they have for reason....

6. NewTrucker4

NewTrucker4 Bobtail Member

May 24, 2018
    Kinda off topic, but does anyone know what kinds of tractors heartland mostly uses? heard a while back it used to be mostly kenworth and freightliner with some internationals but dont know if thats still the case

7. BIF MALIBU

BIF MALIBU Heavy Load Member

May 21, 2010
    lake cushman wa
    i made 62000$ in 2017 hauling sawdust bark and woodchips in washington state 5 days a week home every day for the bigger company
    standard benefits
    they are competing for drivers with one year experience
    the economy is good and people need drivers

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    Reason for edit: content
  8. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I started with Gordon in January 2016. It was a great place with most of the drivers I knew having worked there 10-30 years. I was getting decent cpm and 3,000 miles a week. When Heartland took them over in July 2016, my miles dropped to around 1,000 per week, and I was being asked to do mostly short hauls out of Lathrop (my home terminal) for very little pay and most were at night. My weekly paychecks were coming in at around $400 and I simply couldn't afford to work there any longer. I went to a small company with 2 trucks, and most of the other drivers I knew at Gordon went to Interstate. When Heartland bought out Interstate, the first thing they did was fire most of the old Gordon drivers out of spite. I personally know of 8 drivers they did that to. Whenever I see people considering Heartland, I will try to talk them out of it. They are a crap company.

drvrtech77 and Dark_Majesty_06 Thank this.
  9. SteveScott

Nov 10, 2015
    Heartland mostly buys Internationals and Kenworth T680's, completely stripped down of course and nothing added for the comfort of the driver. I had a Cascadia when I worked for them from Gordon. It was pretty stripped down as well, but at least it had an APU.

10. Trucker1808

Trucker1808 Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2018
    This is all true! Now they have shorthaul salary and it's really just regional with extra work longer hours and you will be going over your hrs if your a runner they will tell you it has to be on time and give you a load over your hrs #### is getting worst every week I normally out of my 70 in 5 days and run about 3 to 4 small loads a day for freaking $1100 and only home 1.5 or not home at all if load sucks. oh and they make you take routes that will put you a HR out your way. I haven't been taking the routes tho and wasn't charged anything.

11. SteveScott

Nov 10, 2015
    My first job in trucking was with Gordon, and I left a month after Heartland bought them out because it got so bad. My brother in law is still with them and hates every minute of it. Sounds like it's gotten a lot worse since I left in 2016.

jon69, Dave_in_AZ, mjd4277 and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.