Heavyd , truck shuts down while driving down freeway

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by al easley, Jan 23, 2015.

1. al easley

al easley Bobtail Member

Dec 25, 2012
    2009 prostar , cummins isx . Engine shuts down while driving and electrical failure pops up on screen . Driver waits bout 5 mins and it starts sluggishly . No codes

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ReeferOhio

ReeferOhio Medium Load Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Ohio
    check power supply to the ecm, check the relays. If the power to the ECM is shorting out and coming back i should show a low voltage code.

4. al easley

al easley Bobtail Member

Dec 25, 2012
    Ok,a low volt code on the body controller ?? Cause there isn't any codes for the engine . Thought it was the low coolant sensor replaced it and the inactive codes disappeared. Was thinking it might be the relay/ 100 amp fuse thing , but don't where it is . This has happened 2x in last 2 weeks .

Heavyd , thank you for responding so fast .

5. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Have you checked the battery connections? Sometimes they can get a little loose. Check all wires around the batteries to see if one might be a little loose or might be touching metal.

Spartan0229 Thanks this.
  6. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Sounds like the engine is losing ignition power. If there is something wrong with the ECM power harness the ECM will log code 434 for loss of battery supply while ignition is on. If the ECM is losing ignition power it will not log codes. The body controller, instrument cluster and ABS will all have 1939 related datalink failure codes for loss of communication with the engine controller, (ECM). Either case, once the engine is off-line with the rest of the truck on-line you will get the electrical fault warning in the LCD display.

7. al easley

al easley Bobtail Member

Dec 25, 2012
    Ok, I'll let you know what I find . You think it could be the ignition key switch and / or relays in the fuse box . I'll check those 1st

thanx Heavyd !!!!!!!

8. al easley

al easley Bobtail Member

Dec 25, 2012
    Think I found code
    spn. FMI. SA
    2167. 11. 167
    ignition message and switch ignition don't match - root cause unknown

9. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Yep, ignition power problem. You are on the right path.

10. al easley

al easley Bobtail Member

Dec 25, 2012
    Heavyd, code SPN 639- FMI 9 popped up then disappeared next time I ran codes. That's the problem . The wiring to the ecm. Long story short , this truck already has a new/ different wiring harness and ecm . Likely just gonna get rid of this truck , have had regen issues w/ this truck also, ( doser condition , regen inhibit - multiple dosers 3x and sensors have been replaced ). Got a lemon

thanx again Heavyd !!!!!

Spartan0229 Thanks this.
  11. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Wiring and the connectors are the weak link sometimes. Electrical gremlins can be really hard to find. Yep, I hear you there. Sometimes you just have to know when to walk away!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.