Heavyd , truck shuts down while driving down freeway

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by al easley, Jan 23, 2015.

1. dustinbrock

dustinbrock Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    20180423_125056.jpg

I'm dealing with similar issues. My truck will stall out while running and kick abs/traction/engine light on.

I used service ranger/insite/dlb to make sure all codes were cleared, these are what popped up when I idled the truck and it lost power. Insite is showing 1117 as the only active code. Pic shows what dlb is showing.

I've cleaned battery connections, battery ground to frame, engine block ground, starter to frame, frame to left post body ground, mega fuse connections and posts, alternator connections.

Sometimes it will not start, relay clicks but that's it. Will not turn over or anything. Yesterday it wouldn't start for 30 minutes and I tried wiggling everything, checked a red wire running to the starter solenoid which I believed to be my start hot wire but it had ground so that's either my issue with starting or I'm misinformed. Finally popped the clutch pedal and it started but that could have been a coincidence.

I am going to start tearing into this thing right now, I noticed while looking at wiring diagrams that there may be a right side cab post ground thatbi missed so I'll start there although i doubt that's anything to do with this..... @Heavyd you seem to be very knowledge with this issue so any insight would be greatly appreciated.

2008 Prostar autoshift gen 3

1524511394398276744294.jpg

The ecm power loss code comes and goes, this is the first time I have seen the others.

I repaired 2 broken wires coming off my bcm which I guess was good but it didn't help, lol now when I press my jake butting, my horn beeps too. Verified the numbers on the wires to ensure I didn't cross them when splicing.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dustinbrock

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    1524511971502655762365.jpg
    A couple more popped up..... this should be fun.....

4. dustinbrock

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    20180423_140343.jpg
    20180423_140353.jpg

While checking around the truck, key on... It just started buzzin and this is what I find. Lord I don't even know where to start here.

5. dustinbrock

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    20180423_144745.jpg

Main ground from cab to frame. Most the the wires are busted, worth a try......

6. dustinbrock

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    Might have found the issue. Followed the 1117 ecm power loss code according to Cummins and everything checked out fine, ripped the entire dash apart as well as the entire wiring harness then finally I came across this......

Hmmmmmmmm

7. dustinbrock

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    Apparently unrelated. Just a loose connection probably caused by myself.

Watching dlb I've realized that I have a large number of counts for brake system.

20180423_231959.jpg

When the trucks idling, every now and then it'll cut power and kick off cruise and then log another code for pgn and deivetrain (top 2)

It will then shut the truck off randomly and I cannot restart it. Abs Datalink comm error code shows active while this is happening, truck will keep turning over but will not fire up till the code goes inactive.

Inside the truck is doing odd things. Right window wouldnt roll up then randomly did and kept rolling up. I'd roll it down and it would go back up.

When I press the Jake brake button on the steering wheel, the horn beeps. Sometimes the switches won't work unless I wiggle them.... Ie. Turn marker lights off but they stay on till I wiggle switch, same with cab dome lights.

At this point I'm not sure if I'm looking at a bad bcm, a issue with the abs module booting or maybe a wiring issue. I did find 2 broke wires down by the BCM which I repaired so I'm assuming there could be more.......

8. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    ECM power draw is from the mega fuses at the firewall. Should be a main fuse also behind there somewhere for the ECM power too. Something is wrong with that power feed to cause that 1117 code. Power codes should always be fixed first when have a list there like that. Ground will also go the firewall in the same area. Make sure all that is clean and tight.

dustinbrock Thanks this.
  9. dustinbrock

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    I've verified the wire from the battery to mega fuse block is good, mega fuses good, wire from ecm to mega fuses good all connections clean. Ground is from ecm direct to the engine block and all connections are clean and wires good. I went through every step of Cummins troubleshooting and everything passed. Pin 39 on ecm oem side all the way to the ignition passed resistance test and is putting out proper voltage.

Started running these codes through iknow and most seem to be data link loss so I'm going to follow the trouble shooting tree for data link right now.......
    20180424_124431.jpg

Got this thing tore right up haha. Engine harness is all tore apart too...... putting it all back together is gonna suck!

Side note here, 1117 can be triggered by low voltage cranking. I believe that is what a happened here.

10. dustinbrock

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    Did all the data link tests and they passed. Wtf ! Although it does say it needs to be acting up which it isn't, it is intermittent so maybe that's why.

Double checked the ecm code. Has full power to both main pins even when acting up and stalling , ground from ecm has been verified good with less than 1 ohm resistance and pin 39 switched power has full voltage even when the trucks acting up, doesn't fluctuate at all.

Got more codes coming up here, I know my cluster main screen only half works. It's like condensation got into it from sitting all winter but when I opened the cluster up, all looks well.

1524617828831897410424.jpg
    115 counts of spn 2033 fmi 9
    Loss of data link with esc from instrument cluster.

11. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    Last time that I had this problem with very similar issues it was the terminating resistor, located on engine harness, right by fuel actuator plugs before it turns towards egr valve connector. 10 seconds to replace. Mine would act up when I shook the resistor.

dustinbrock Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.