Heavyd , truck shuts down while driving down freeway

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by al easley, Jan 23, 2015.

1. dustinbrock

dustinbrock Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    Update: we may be on to something here.....

When the truck won't start and says "electrical fault" the autoshift nuteral light isn't lit so I went wiggling and found the main ground wire on the tcm oem connector would lose connection when wiggled. With key on and wifey in the truck she could watch the nuteral light and electrical fault come and go as I wiggled.

After playing with it enough, I can't get it to act up anymore right now so I'm going to run it.

The tcu and ecu share the same post for power but I believe different grounds, my hope is when the tcu loses power it then trips the 1117 code in the ecu.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
  4. dustinbrock

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    Well it didn't work, fixed one issue but not the power loss one so I'm going to try something else. If I pulled hard on the ground for the ecm it would stall Sini removed the duescht connector and tightened the sockets and put them back on the pins but still stalls.

I loaded up the wiring real good today with multiple halogen bulbs as well as the fuel pump running, lights don't even dim when pump kicks in. Power and grounds are solid....

I measured the voltage of the power wires and they didn't lose voltage when the truck cut out at all but now I'm thinking I need to measure the amps coming out the ground wire vs going in if the wiring is good, if have 12v no matter what but if there's a internal problem with a failed capacitor or something on the ecm motherboard or a weak solder point internally, I should watch the amperage drop when acting up ......

Tomorrow's test. I have verified as far as I'm concerned that the wiring and connections are all mint so I believe at this point, it may be just a formality.

5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Yikes, starting to sound expensive here. Good luck!

6. dustinbrock

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk

100% found my problem. To the electronic repair shop! No way I'm paying $2300 CAD for a new ecm.

Snailexpress Thanks this.
  7. dustinbrock

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    Thank for dealing with my long winded posts here, hijacking this thread. Thanks to @Heavyd and @QUALITYTRUCK for your help.

Couple dollars for a solder job solved this problem. Trucks running beautiful.

hduane, Heavyd and QUALITYTRUCK Thank this.
  8. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    You are welcome. Good for you man!! Hard work paid off this time. Make sure that you bonus your wife for helping you out.

dustinbrock Thanks this.
  9. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    YES! That's awesome! Good find!

dustinbrock Thanks this.
  10. hduane

hduane Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2017
    Dallas tx
    THANKS FOR DOCUMENTING AND POSTING THE REPAIR. TOO MANY POST ON HERE LOOKING FOR HELP BUT NEVER RETURN TO POST THE FIX

dustinbrock and Heavyd Thank this.
  11. aktruck

aktruck Bobtail Member

Feb 28, 2020
    Heavyd,
    please take a look on my fault codes. Volvo 2012 Cumins ISX loosing power for a few seconds, check engine light , stop engine, ABS, TCS came up. Then after 3 sec picked the power, light gone and good to go. Truck does this a few times a day. Please advese.

Attached Files:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.