Hello all Im a noob Class A-CDL trainee

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by OTRTruckStomper, Jul 1, 2018.

1. OTRTruckStomper

OTRTruckStomper Bobtail Member

Jul 1, 2018
    Hello everybody and soon to be fellow Truck Drivers.

My Story
    I,m 51 happily married"most the time LOL" with 2 great kids. was an Ironwork/welder for 12 years.
    6 years ago in 2012 I started my own nutrients resale business first 4+ years of business we did great future looked very shinny But past 2 years competition has me working for nothing most the time.

My business has me doing a lot of driving up and down I-25 and I-10 from Colorado to Florida in my ford dully with a 32foot enclosed trailer gone 2 to 3 weeks every month and barely breaking even past 13 months. So time to make a change. I love being on the road I take my Son with me sometimes and my wife other times and I just love it. So becoming a Truck driver seams like the logical choose. (Im going with Schneider paid school program) I have already Got my DOT physical and passed the Class-A CDL written"I have temp permit in hand" and passed 2 drug screens. I start school tomorrow 7-2-18 at USA trucking school in fountain Co. I feel I am more than capable to pass any test written or skill that they through at me but my work history is what IM concerned about.
    The first 4 years of my business I just ran as is no corporation papers. I did not get Inc. until 2014 and I have not filed TAXES for the business yet. But I do have bank statements with A tax ID# atached to it with the company name for past 16 months that the recruiter says they will take but after watching videos on youtube I feel i should not trust the recruiter?
    I ,m beginning to worry they will kick me out over this when i get to Schneiders Orientation Facility in salt lake city any advise would be nice.

No criminal record for past 24 years (bad boy in my mid 20.s) 1 felony(Fake id) couple misdemeanors no drug related
    No traffic violations sense 2008(A speeding ticket 11 MPH over posted speed limit) not much trfaffic wise before that.

thanks for any comments

OTRTruckStomper

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Try for Schneider Bulk and you'll make $1000 - $1500 weekly. Schneider Bulk is their tanker division.
    I doubt you'll even come close to that in the dry van division.
    Yes, they hire new cdl school graduates for tanker division.
    [​IMG]

OTRTruckStomper Thanks this.
  4. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    Dont let you tube crap worry you. I think youll be fine.

Good Luck !

OTRTruckStomper Thanks this.
  5. OTRTruckStomper

Jul 1, 2018
    will do thanks for the info

6. OTRTruckStomper

Jul 1, 2018
    I hope :D thanks for the support

austinmike Thanks this.
  7. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    As much as I hate to say it, I would probably take the word of a recruiter over most of the youboob stars out there. I mean, do you think a truly successful professional driver would have time to sit in the sleeper playing with video cameras all day? Most of them can’t even bother to shave or put a clean shirt on.

snowmantrucking101 Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You better hold off going anywhere until you clear your taxes with Dear Uncle Sam.

Make DARN SURE YOU ARE EVEN WITH UNCLE SAM and all the other State, Local, entitlements, medical etc etc etc are paid upto date.

If IRS find out at any time you failed to actually file formally and pay taxes on your work in any previous year, they will absolutely freeze your checking accounts, grab any savings you have on hand and essentially intercept any refunds, money and so forth until ALL taxes, interest most especially is paid.

Im not taliking about a loss of a few dollars Im talking about a complete and total freeze, lockup, confiscation of ALL of your money until you cannot even spend a dollar anywhere. You will find very quickly liens places against your home, property, vehicles etc assets etc.

If you begin work now and bring in new money, and have not paid Taxes, Uncle sam will simply take it all MWAH and thank you. You would not be able to buy a cup of coffee much less maintain your life style.

Everything else you wrote was fine, But the thing that really derailed me was in the last 4 years you have not yet paid taxes. Whoa. All stop right there. Get that taken care of before anything else. Like right now. BEFORE they find it and grind you to dust.

9. OTRTruckStomper

Jul 1, 2018
    x1Heavy Thanks for your concerns but i think you miss read the post I did not get the company incorporated until late 2016 paid taxes for every year before that just got to do taxes for the past 16 months on the Incorporated business thats only been open for 16 months and 6 months of that does not need to be filed until next tax season.

10. OTRTruckStomper

Jul 1, 2018
    Hello everybody just want to give an update of my first 2 days of truck driving school that started on 07-02-2018
    Monday:
    There where Just 5 studants in class room me included.
    Class Started at 7am 1st day was just over 10.5 hours and they don't mess around the instructor threw us right into it. lots of reading and a hole lot of infomation to take in. The day started of with the instructor handing out the "United state truck driving school manual BOOK" an Truck Drivers Daily Log book, some literature on safe driving and Using an ELD's(Electronic logging devices) both the ELD and Safe Driving where just a couple of papers stapled together. Then the instructor show us how to fill out our T.D.D. log books after that we started reading the first chapter,that was about(Hours-of-service regulations) #17 pages highlighted the parts we would have a quiz on the next day. At the end of the day we worked on "Monthly Summary Sheet" 70 hours in 8 days rule. then we work on a sheet with T.D.D. log book grids and we had to find the 11hour and 14hour violations this was my (achilles heel)[​IMG] I could not wrap my head around it maybe because it was the end of the day to much to fast i dont know? Did not have time to studied the 11-14 violations on monday night stayed up till 11:30ish studing for the quiz.(As instructed by the instructor) at lunch we filled in our off time in our T.D.D. log book and at the end of the day we filled out the rest of the T.D.D. log book.
    Tuesday:
    First thing we filled out the T.D.D. log book as on duty 7am. Then we did the quiz.(There are 20 question in that quiz and you must get 75% correct) studing hard monday night paid off. I got 80% correct. (QUESTIONS ARE NOT STRIGHT FORWARD) You have to use your head and kinda read between the lines, "DONT RUSH" take your time a question can look to be true but its a trick. Took about 40 min for everybody to fininsh the quiz. Started reading chapter #2 in the U.S.T.D.S.Manual. (Air Brakes Systems) 27 pages most was covered in the DOT written exam i took at the DMV "but not all" worked on that until 2pm then started chapter#3 (Injury Prevention) 5 pages read and highlighted until 2:40ish then work on a (monthly summary sheet) 30min Then T.D.D. log book grids 11-14 violations still having a hard time with this but not has hard as Monday (I'LL GET IT) just need to study. rest of the day we watched movies about Rail Road crossing and Trucks getting hit by Trains (That sure did wake Me up) an injury pervention video, human trafficing (WOW had no idea) then look at a display of a air brake system on the table learned what a spring brake to a system brake is which is on the DOT final you will take at end of school. we where handed some homework to study for another quiz on Thursday we have no school on Wednesday (July 4th) Holiday. The homework is chapter #2 and #3 in the U.S.T.D.S.Manual along with the monthly summary sheet and the T.D.D. log book grids 11-14 violations sheet. At lunch we filled in our off time in our T.D.D. log book and at the end of the day we filled out the rest of the T.D.D. log book.
    well thats my first 2 days of Truck Driving School
    OOh ya some good news Schneider sent me a check to cover my exspenses for the DOT physical and written dont think they would have done that if there was an issue with my work history (That was a BIG HELLS YES for me).
    Happy New 4th of July everybody and Talk to you again when i get the time to Update.

10-4 from your OTRTruckStomper

11. Lab work

Lab work Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2018
    USA
    My first driving experience was with Schneider. The trainer was very professional and a great guy to learn from. I find a tremendous amount of horror stories that some drivers have but I received awesome training.
    You are absolutely right about those test questions.
    Happy 4th

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.