Hello from Bama! (ROLL TIDE!!!)

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Michaelg77, Jul 2, 2021.

1. Michaelg77

Michaelg77 Bobtail Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Florence, Al
    Greetings everyone. I recently reactivated my account. I have been trolling through these threads getting information and enjoying what everyone has to say. I am about to make a career change and if you haven’t guessed it by now, I’m going to get my CDL-A and go on the road with my wife. I have very little experience. I first got my CDL-A in 2007 after leaving the military through a company. I drove for them long enough to get my own tractor and out for the first leg of a run before my ex wife wasn’t supportive of the lifestyle. So I reluctantly turned my truck in (the correct way) and went back into restaurant management. I dropped my license back down to D class (terrible mistake btw). Now let’s fast forward 14 years and one spouse later. I currently drive a school bus for the city, but really want to be in a tractor again. I’m going to be getting my A class once again through a local school. I’m not to keen on the idea of being tied to a company for 15-24 months plus a financial obligation hanging over my head if I don’t stay. I am looking forward to picking everyone’s brains as I look for advise and hopefully one day, get to have mine picked. I will be continuing to research some companies and will more than likely ask for some advise. Thanks for reading. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    For the love of God, mom, apple pie, and the country you swore to defend, please steer clear of Western Express and US Express.

I believe Frozen Food Express has a location in Atlanta. FFE pays you while you train and won't saddle you with tuition fees.

@Chinatown enjoys offering suggestions on where to train.

4. Michaelg77

Feb 5, 2017
    Florence, Al
    Thanks for the heads up. I’m leaning more towards national dry van. I’d love to be able to travel to/through all 48.

Yes, I have seen him make several recommendations to other drivers. I was actually going to get his help later on down the road after I have done my homework to see if I have left anything out.

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    USA Truck has a program where you choose your own loads; think you have to be there 6 mos. for that program.
    Dry van.
    Wife can ride with you also and a pet.
    USA Truck
    https://driveusatruck.com
    USA Truck is focused on rewarding professional CDL-A truck drivers with career opportunities that offer consistency, predictability, and great pay.

`
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    Michaelg77 Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Wilson Logistics - rider & 2 dogs - dry van
    Can run 48 states; let them know up front you want to do that.
    `
    Wilson Logistics
    Wilson Logistics
    Wilson Logistics is a family-owned trucking company that knows our drivers as well as we know our customers.
    [​IMG].[​IMG]

Michaelg77 Thanks this.
  7. Lucky12

Lucky12 Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Roll Tide!

Michaelg77 Thanks this.
  8. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Used to be a truck co. named "Bama Pie co."

Michaelg77 Thanks this.
  9. Michaelg77

Feb 5, 2017
    Florence, Al
    Thank you. I was actually looking at USA Truck last night. I like the idea of picking your loads. Do you know how long a grad will have to wait before taking a rider? I’m looking for a company with an immediate rider policy. I know Knight, PTL, and Swift have immediate rider policies. I am doing more research on Knight.

10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I don't know of any that have day one rider program for new cdl school grads. Usually have to wait until finished riding with a trainer.

Michaelg77 Thanks this.
  11. Michaelg77

Feb 5, 2017
    Florence, Al
    Yes, that’s what I meant. I know I’ll have to go out with a trainer for 2-4 weeks. I was actually referring to directly after the training.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.