Hello from California

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Califbuck66, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Califbuck66

Califbuck66 Bobtail Member

Dec 28, 2018
    Hi

I am new on here. I am about to go to Trucking school in my town but it will be in January 2020. I last worked as a tax preparer 5 years ago before my back went out on me. Should be going through physically therapy in summer. Its getting better. than it was but still need the physical therapy bit. I was about to get back in the accounting field by doing work in another state since there is really nothing here. But tax laws changed and could no longer write off employee expenses now so I been looking at the trucking field. A guy I went to school with just started and hes happy. The part I like is no office drama and I am sure there are plenty out there who just like me that have a bachelors of business administration degree.

Anyway I hope by February 2020 I could be driving and then leaving California to either Arizona, Oklahoma or Texas and leaving CA behind.

thanks
    scott

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    No state personal income taxes in Texas; you probably already know that.
    I had an office job, briefly, and couldn't deal with it. Trucking is a great career.

Califbuck66 Thanks this.
  4. Califbuck66

Dec 28, 2018
    Hi
    Texas I did not know. I just knew about Nevada and Florida. What I was going to do was work in Nevada for a time and take break but then read the new tax law and it would not be good. I am living off my disability from nursing but this sitting around is getting old quick.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    With that bad back, look for a trucking company that doesn't let the driver touch freight.
    More and more companies are becoming "driver no-touch freight" due to Elogs. They want the drivers to rest, not work unloading freight.
    Line haul jobs are good; drop & hook and no touch freight. Old Dominion Freight Lines is one of the good ones and hires new cdl grads from approved schools.
    Most refrigerated companies don't allow drivers to unload freight.

6. Califbuck66

Dec 28, 2018
    Thank you. My lifting days are over and that's what threw my back out was lifting my dad. I will add Old Dominion to the list.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Most companies are now doing hair follicle drug test now, so need to be clean for 12 months.

8. Califbuck66

Dec 28, 2018

No problem there. I been a drinker since I was 13. I just stopped 2 months ago. Marijuana & stuff like it were not for me. If caught in Nursing they would tear your license up in front of your face. Have a neighbor who tried talking me into it but I declined. He fixes trucker engines.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  9. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    just get out of california. its getting harder and harder for those wind turbines too keep pushing cali towards the main land

10. Califbuck66

Dec 28, 2018

That's number 3 on my list. Rest of my family has houses and grandkids here but I'm a free bird. Gas is almost $5 a gal and I have not seen this High Speed Rail they been talking about since I was a student at the University in 2010.

1. Truck school
    2. Buy a car or truck
    3. Pack up & leave CA

truckdriver31 Thanks this.
  11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I basically flipped a coin choosing between Austin, Texas and Las Vegas/Henderson.
    Both were a good match for me and family.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.