Hello from Lakeland, FL.

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by DRandi, Jan 7, 2023.

1. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018

Just want to point out that switching jobs just to get away from stupid isn’t going to work. In fact you’re just replacing the scenery but the stupid stays.

sure it will be refreshing at first, but you’ll come back to the realization that it’s the same crap, different toilet.

Wish you the best, but what I would do with that experience is become a big rig mechanic road calls.

$200 an hour if not more.

lual Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    If flatbed duty is of interest to you--then this one is probably THE flatbed carrier for you to look at, first....terminals located in Tampa, & Jacksonville--& elsewhere:

Driver FAQ - Cypress Truck Lines

They can get you home, weekly.

--Lual

4. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    You recommend them? I sure wouldn’t. They’ve been crap, since I first knew of them in the 90’s. They’ve always ran stripped, crappy equipment. They haul cheap loads, like mulch (cypress mulch). Their trucks are not properly equipped for a flatbedder to properly do their job, like one set of tarps (lumber tarps) fits everything. From their drivers’ appearances, I’d say they don’t pay well. This place is a hard pass, for me.

A flatbed in FL has always been a struggle. It’s why Maverick doesn’t run their flatbeds down there. It’s hard to get back out and the rates are cheap.

lual Thanks this.
  5. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Thanks much for that info/feedback.....

--Lual

ducnut Thanks this.
  6. DRandi

DRandi Bobtail Member

Dec 28, 2022
    Talked to Christina at Sage, nice lady. Going on the 17th to take a tour of the campus.

A company she mentioned as a possibility is TMC, any opinions? I did start reading the thread here on them, just haven’t gotten far yet.

One thing I have learned over the years is always set foot on the premises and take a look around.

Go look in the mechanics shop. Is it dirty, yes…. Lack of pride in the shop. That dirt will inevitably end up in places it shouldn’t, like inside your engine.

Look at the mechanics tools and tool box. Are a good portion of them using name brand pro tools, Matco, Mac, Snap-on? Does stuff appear clean and relatively new? If not keep on walking. Means mechanics aren’t paid well enough to afford proper tools for the job. That translates to not paid enough to care about the work they do.

Go look at the employee parking lot. Employees driving decent cars, or beaters cause they aren’t paid enough to keep up with the times.

Same goes for the trucks, trailers and equipment they are running. A local carrier here has a pretty big terminal, but all their trailers look like they have been rode hard and put away wet. Low and behold online employee reviews also reflect continual concerns with break downs and lack of correct maintenance.

lual Thanks this.
  7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  8. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    @DRandi --

In post #35 above, you asked about TMC.

That carrier was originally started by a Marine officer.

If you're ex-military (Marines, or Army)....you might just like it there.

Otherwise--the military style thinking and "DNA" there will likely be a turn-off for you.

With a recession already underway--my "vote" here sez.....stack the deck in your favor.....to maximize your later chances of real success.

What do I really mean by that?

Start off in trucking (if you finally decide to do that) by pulling freight that is more recession-resistant.

In central Florida--that's super-easy to do!!! :) :D

Start out by pulling freight that is either food--or food-related.

Central Florida is a super "hot bed" of BOTH reefer loads--& food-grade tanker.

Either of those will basically allow you to pretty much bypass most recession problems.

Easy examples--see post #4, in this same thread.

Also--Chinatown-vetted and approved: Join The Family - Leonards (leonardsexpress.com)

Leonard's takes new CDL grads....and (from the website) apparently does regional freight, too.

Thus--you should be able to get home every week or so with them.

--Lual

Last edited: Jan 9, 2023
    LilRedRidingHood and ducnut Thank this.
  9. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    You might rethink the 3-letter company. I’m a combat veteran and was pretty hardcore, at the time. Those guys are just plain jerks. I won’t allow people to disrespect me, as they don’t own me. Furthermore, flatbed freight OUT of FL is difficult. Again, drive around the distribution centers and see what all is there. Go that route, so you’re not having to deal with parking a truck and trailer.

LilRedRidingHood Thanks this.
  10. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    "TMC" = "Too Much Chrome"

:biggrin_2559:

--Lual

ducnut Thanks this.
  11. DRandi

DRandi Bobtail Member

Dec 28, 2022
    Yeah the more looking I do at TMC the more they are a turn off. I did the Uncle Sam thing and know what that’s all about.

Strongly leaning towards running tanks. Not sure I’ll get there out the gate, but looking for a company that makes and ships its own product. Rational is they own the product and actually care about what’s being hauled and how it gets there. Not just a middle man shipper. Also no lumpers to deal with or slinging pallets.

I see a good bit of dry bulk pneumatics running around but haven’t been able to catch the name on the door, other than Florida Rock and Tank Lines. They are a long way away from me.

Oakley food tanker terminal is about a hour south of me. Thought about checking them out, but not sure about the distance from the house.

Reefer!! Tons of reefer terminals going up around here. Don’t know who the companies are yet, but no less that six maybe more, large terminal buildings are up and running now in the last three years.

Not against running end dumps either if the pay is there. Three large mines all within 20 minutes drive. Two companies I saw are Daniel Mullins and Alers Hauling. My limited research which could be wrong shows they are kinda so so and on the low end of the pay scale.

David.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.