Hello from Phoenix

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by jbthumper, Dec 31, 2021.

1. jbthumper

jbthumper Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2021
    I'm a 40 year old business man (I'm manage a strip club in Phx) looking to get started in owning a trucking fleet.

While I am getting all my stuff together, I am also looking for a mentor to the business and a driver that will show me around trucks plus maybe give me some ride alongs.

I am in the process of getting my CDL as I do want to drive when I can to learn that side of the business and to be honest I grew up around trucks (Montana) and love them.

I come from a family run business (not my family) and want to have the same in trucking and appreciate the drivers.

Any insight or in general networking is great. Have a good New Years and be safe.

I am also willing to pay for your time but would like to find some people that generally want to pass on the knowledge and keep trucking alive. But like I said, I'm a business man and agree time is money.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Flat Earth Trucker and MOBee Thank this.
  4. jbthumper

jbthumper Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2021
    Thank you!

Floating out an idea, but it seems like used trucks may fall a little in price the next 2-3 months as it seems lots of ppl buy/work the Holiday season then sell or it slows way down first month or two of the year I read. What does everyone think?

We usually have parking for a trucks without trailers usually and best dayshift in prolly West Coast.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
  5. MOBee

MOBee Road Train Member

Apr 27, 2014
    I don't think you will find that this year. Truck prices are at an all time high wether new or used. You may want to reach out to Pensky or Ryder about leasing trucks. They will also take care of maintence, paperwork, and on road breakdowns. Get your feet wet first then move into your own trucks. Just a thought.

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  6. TheLoadOut

TheLoadOut Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2019
    As crazy as it might sound I think you'll have less headaches just running the strip club.

MOBee and Atlanta trucker Thank this.
  7. jbthumper

jbthumper Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2021
    I agree but I went to a leasing company last week and the lady said with the market it the way it is, over a year wait and would have to be a brand new rig.
    I'll look into the places you mentioned.

Lucky I have some cash assets and income to put into the company as we go plus I don't have to make a profit for myself yet as this will be my side hustle for awhile.

I notice there is basically 2 mindsets in trucking,

buy newer and get better mileage plus a payment (may break even on reports I see)
    or buy older and pay a lot more for fuel plus repairs. (minus the buzz around emissions stuff but I was a car mechanic for ten years and know the companies take a few years to figure out new designs so late model stuff should be way more reliable that emission problems around first years.)

I may buy something like a good FLD (as good as I can find and they say) learn a little (put a driver in it) then when income is built put that driver in something newer and keep the FLD for myself as I do want to drive and love the older look.

my mindset is to be successful not focus on making money first when starting out but same note not to be stupid or make a bad business decision.

8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    MOBee Thanks this.
  9. MOBee

MOBee Road Train Member

Apr 27, 2014
    Do you have a driver in mind now? If it is not their primary income, they may be much more flexible on what and how old the truck is with the implied break down issues. If this person has a mechanical skill set they will probably be very valuable to your new company.

10. jbthumper

jbthumper Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2021
    I have yet to get a driver. Part of the reason I haven’t bought a truck yet.

11. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Kevin Rutherford has radio on Satellite radio every day for 3 hours about how to make money in trucking. Some like his advice and some don't.

MOBee and jbthumper Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.