Hello from shakey town

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Docholiday93065, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Docholiday93065

Docholiday93065 Bobtail Member

Dec 20, 2017
    Shaky Town
    After a 30 year absense of driving. I am now heading back to trucking school.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You plan to run the roads? How long is the school?
    Lots of changes in 30 years, but still a good career.

4. Docholiday93065

Dec 20, 2017
    Shaky Town
    I have not finalized which school I will be attending yet. Still going back and forth on some threads about hours. Some at which point out to a minimum of 160 hours and others at 200-240 or more hours. Still reseraching this - so tomorrow I am going to call some companies and ask them. Not looking to be an owner-operator just to work for a large company preferred or shipper. I would like to be home every night or perhaps work 3-5 days out and home for 3.

I am taking care of my mom and its just me doing this. I do have care-givers part-time that come and help with mom but only Mon-Friday. Weekends the ladies from church come and assist me. I have been out of work now since 2010 and have used up all my savings and 401K taking care of my mom. I only have 6 months of money left and then GOD willing and the river don't rise I will be driving by then to be able to pay for a full time care giver.

I do have family but my sister will not help only comes once in a while to take mom for food then brings her back to my house.

I did drive semi's in my twenty's for about 7 years. Two years hauling huge rolls of paper on a flatbed and then about 5 years hauling a NASCAR all arounfn the country during racing season. Off season I went to school - University.

Going back to the hours issue I see no validility in this at all. There is no standard out there that will actually how these hours will be dispersed in what areas of focus - theory, operations, safety, drive time?. Also, I have yet to find any state or federal requirement either.

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Lots of hometime is the problem, but not insurmountable.
    Gardner Trucking
    Mountain Valley Express
    Long Beach Community College trains for local intermodal work through the "Harbor Driver Training Program." You'll need to develop a thick skin to deal with the smart mouth Longshoremen though. Probably be home every day though.

6. Docholiday93065

Dec 20, 2017
    Shaky Town
    Long Beach is 80 miles away for me. Thanks for the tip(s) though.

7. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    Good Luck and I admire you for caring for your Mom God bless you. Merry Christmas.

8. Docholiday93065

Dec 20, 2017
    Shaky Town
    Thank you, NightWind....and Merry Xmas to you and your family...

NightWind Thanks this.
  9. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    93065 ? Simi Valley, right ? My sister lived there 50 plus yrs before she died. Nephews still there as is my other sister.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.