hello got a quick question

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by opiear1, Aug 25, 2011.

1. rockee

rockee Road Train Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pacific Northwest
    I dont know anything about the Fast Card but I think it relates to expediting freight across the border and cuts some red tape and is not for "personal" border crossings. Probably takes the same amount of time crossing with a Passport or EDL. After looking some (not much) I dont think the OP will have the EDL available to him but there are a few border states that are involved in the program, so a passport is not the "only way to go".

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. trucker_101

trucker_101 Heavy Load Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Alberta
    I don't think it's used for personal crossings any more.:biggrin_25512:
    In 2009 I used it in place of a passport in my personal car because I didn't have a passport then. Because at that time it was accepted in place of.

4. opiear1

opiear1 Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2011
    hot springs, ar
    Since I have had a chance to get back on here i have called the port of entry on both sides and they told me that with a picture id and my birth certificate it wont be any problem to cross the border either way

5. rockee

rockee Road Train Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pacific Northwest
    I wont swear to it but I think you got some bad information. I would look on line and research it some

6. Onetruckpony

Onetruckpony Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2011
    be sure to let us know how that works out for you.

Injun Thanks this.
  7. opiear1

opiear1 Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2011
    hot springs, ar
    well made it in and out with no problems took less than 5 min. either way

BigJohn54 and Logan76 Thank this.
  8. rockee

rockee Road Train Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pacific Northwest
    Well I am not calling you a liar but I would sure like to know where you crossed at because according to the Department of Homeland Security's website, and every other web site, plus my own experience inquiring at the border, you cannot go into Canada and come back into the U.S. with a birth certificate and "other forms of Id. I just find it hard to believe that you made it into Canada without the proper documents, and then made it back into the U.S. without the proper documents.

9. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    He said he had his birth certificate. The debate was over whether he needed his passport.

10. rockee

rockee Road Train Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pacific Northwest
    Yes you are correct. And to re-enter the U.S. just a birth certificate and other ID is not good enough, or is not supposed to be good enough, according to Homeland Security, and if in fact that is the case I would sure like to know where he crossed especially in commercial vehicle. And after reading the Border Services website for Canada I was wrong about the entry into their country with a birth certificate and picture ID.

11. opiear1

opiear1 Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2011
    hot springs, ar
    i crossed at sweet grass mt. both ways before i got there i called and they said that it wasn't a problem and when i got there it wasn't went rite across both ways

rockee Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.