Help... Cant find a company driver

Discussion in 'Trucking Jobs' started by jps37033, Feb 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bear-legs06

bear-legs06 Bobtail Member

Mar 9, 2007
    Mid- Michigan
    I am on the other side of the coin. I am a good driver looking for a good, honest company. As you are looking for honest hard working drivers, I am looking a company that will allow me to work hard and honestly to provide for my family. It is really hard out there in this industry. Where do we all start to find good employees and employers, I don't know. If you would like I wouldn't mind connecting with you sometime and maybe you are the company that I am looking for and I am the driver that you are looking for.

bear-legs06 (Bear)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Truckerjo

Truckerjo Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Indiana
    That is the hardest thing for a driver to do anymore, find a good company that knows how to treat a driver (could say can treat a human being right, because somehow drivers get rated less then a human being most of the time anymore..)

4. IAMGREAT

IAMGREAT Light Load Member

Dec 24, 2006
    BUTTE AMERICA !!!

So what are you talking about, (if they drive good during the week)?
    Do you have any perks that go with the job like insurance, profit sharing, fuel bonuses, and that kind of thing?

Do you ask them to run sort of legal or just run to git the run done, no matter what?

Whats your area of operation or do you run all 48?

You have my courosity up.

5. nightbright

nightbright Bobtail Member

Mar 4, 2007
    I want to work where you work. Care to share please?

6. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Light Load Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Seems we scared the original Poster; jps, out of here. Hasn't been around for 2 weeks now. Guess he got scared when he was confronted with reality. oh well, reality is sometimes ugly.

jps, if you are still reading these posts here is some more reality to swallow and what it would take to get me to be your company driver.

1. With 4 months short of 5 yrs exp. I would want $0.41/mi, all miles. No Per Diem.

2. Mileage paid off the odometer, not hub. (And odometer better be accurate).

3. You let me fill out a W-4 for withholding.

4. You pay 7.65% S.S. and Medicare, I pay the other 7.65%.

5. Truck needs to have PrePass, EZ-Pass, I-Pass, PikePass.

6. Truck; if so equipped, needs to be able to go at least 69 mph.

7. Decent ins. with premiums of $30 or less per week for medical and dental (Single). Vision ins., no more than $2/wk. $10,000 Life for free. Short Term Disability free with 7 day waiting period. Long Term after 6 mos. at 67% of Gross Pay. Passenger ins. no more than $10/mo.

8. All no-touch freight.

9. Detention Pay after 2 hrs at $15/hr. (Even if Appt has window).

10. Layover Pay at $100/day after first 24 hrs. $150/day after 48 hrs.

Now where I would not drive:

No NE from MD on up.
    No Florida, CA, OR, or WA.
    No Chicago, MI, or IL.
    No I-95 from Ruther Glen, VA northward.
    No OH except Oh Tnpk.

I don't need weekends off cause I stay out 3 to 6 weeks at a time. But when I do want timeoff, it comes at the rate of 6.5 days out = 1 day off.

If you aren't scared off after reading this, PM me and we can talk and iron things out.

7. jps37033

jps37033 Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Tennessee
    Well, I feel everyone. I had found a driver off of here. 1 week into running him, and ( i gave him the weekend off ) he is under a load this morning. I let him deadhead home with the load, cause it was only 500 miles to drop. Well i get the dreaded call yesterday. He is sick, and has called the shipper ( took it upon himself ) told them he couldnt deliver this morning. Calls me this morning and tells me he is now ready ( a day late ) but he cant move until i give him a com check so he can give his girlfriend some money. Man, I am up the creek without a paddle. I dont know wether to tell this guy to shove it and let that company recover the load, or give him the comcheck. So once again I am looking for a GOOD driver, looks as I am weeding out the bad ones. I can be reached at Dart Transport in Columbiana,OH. Tell them you need to get hold of Jameson. I cant post my contact info yet, I dont have enough posts. if anyone is looking. I prefer them be remotley close to TN. Thanks to everyone for their reply's.

8. lobshot

lobshot Sharpshooter

Dec 30, 2006
    Ledbetter............looks like about half of the USA that you wont drive. LOL

9. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    So basicly you just want to drive where??? around the bottom of the country?

JPS
    I'd say give him the com check, make sure it's not for more than you owe him for the run. get it delivered and get the truck back and give tht guy the big boot. I mean sure, people get sick that's a tough call to make even though I'm sure its bs. but what's with the com check??? come on now.

I honestly think it's the wages. you won't get od drivers for those wages. If the money ws better I'd help ya. oh, but only if the truck hasn't been smoked in, or at least profesionally cleaned.

10. SlotCarBox

SlotCarBox Bobtail Member

Mar 12, 2007
    First and foremost, a few revisions...

I'll edit Ledbetter's "list"...

>1. With 4 months short of 5 yrs exp. I would want $0.41/mi, all miles. No Per Diem.
    2. Mileage paid off the odometer, not hub. (And odometer better be accurate)."

1&2. Miles should be ALL miles a wheel turns, yes, even going around the big Petro trying to find a parking space for the night when the place seems full. (Yeah, a guy could block the drive axles up and leave it in gear, running, all night but that would be a 'capital' offense, if you know what I mean.) -=I=- would NEVER do such a thing but the truck also requires a driver when it needs to be backed. AND $.42/travelled mile MINIMUM BASE PAY, fuel/performance bonuses negotiable.

>3. You let me fill out a W-4 for withholding.
    >4. You pay 7.65% S.S. and Medicare, I pay the other 7.65%.
    3&4. Yes, we do the IRS thing. I have already been screwed on the 1099 thing when the pay was not enough to save anything to give to the IRS

>5. Truck needs to have PrePass, EZ-Pass, I-Pass, PikePass.
    5. This is a 'given'. It saves you AND me money in the long term. Most tollways give a significant discount when not using cash.
    ...not to mention the time saved by driving past the coop instead of into the coop (AND $ saved).

>6. Truck; if so equipped, needs to be able to go at least 69 mph.
    6. BS, truck needs to be able to do the speed limit, AT LEAST, anywhere it is operated. There's that 'going-with-the-flow-of-traffic' thing that all of us with enough experience know about.

>7. Decent ins. with premiums of $30 or less per week for medical and dental (Single). Vision ins., no more than $2/wk. $10,000 Life for free. Short Term Disability free with 7 day waiting period. Long Term after 6 mos. at 67% of Gross Pay. Passenger ins. no more than $10/mo.
    7. Amen

>8. All no-touch freight.
    8. This means just that. If a load requires a lumper it does NOT require any $$$ out of my pocket. Shipper-load, consignee-unload is the goal anyway.

>9. Detention Pay after 2 hrs at $15/hr. (Even if Appt has window).
    >10. Layover Pay at $100/day after first 24 hrs. $150/day after 48 hrs.
    9&10. $21 for #9. #10 should be $150 per day. If dispatch tells me on Friday noon to wait until Monday AM to get a return load the clock starts Friday at noon, NOT Saturday at noon.

>Now where I would not drive:
    >No NE from MD on up.
    >No Florida, CA, OR, or WA.
    >No Chicago, MI, or IL.
    >No I-95 from Ruther Glen, VA northward.
    >No OH except Oh Tnpk.
    No offense to Ledbetter but...
    The truck needs to be run where the greatest revenue is. If this means NE then the truck should go there. Having O/O experience myself has proven this to me. AND, I live near Chicago. If you can't get around in Chicago, you can't get around anywhere.

Also, an older truck does NOT mean more downtime/expense/I-won't-drive-it. The key here is PREVENTIVE-MAINTENANCE. If stuff is repaired before it breaks it saves everybody money!

I don't need the fanciest/shiniest rig out there. Certain things are necessary but they're more safety related than comfort related.
    Hood, power(big motor and light foot means fuel savings), decent interior, GUAGES not idiot lights, ALL mirrors heated, A/C, big enough sleeper so a driver has SOME storage space/room for cooler/microwave, etc. (yeah, needs an inverter or wiring with capacity to attach an inverter.) A driver's seat that does not cause me to need chiropractic therapy. A power window on the right side. I could go on for a while but I think I might be running out of space.

And get rid if those stupid low-profile tires. All they have ever done is make things spin faster to do the same work as normal tires do.

(more later, maybe)

11. pro1driver

pro1driver Heavy Load Member

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA
    i think your first mistake was to hire someone from these boards. you said it yourself when i asked you about the background checks. you said something about "bogus" references and experience, so what do you do....?? you hire from here....?? c'mon now man.......what were you thinking....?? you obviously did NOT do a full check on this guy. you just wanted to get your freight moved, in all reality...........

as for being sick in all reality people are human, and they do get sick, but........

then there's the comchek thing................i think he wanted the money because he's about to fly the coop.............get rid of him. if he can't wait for the "normal" pay day, then if nothing else at all, make sure that you cut his check for the balance of what you owe him only. DO NOT give out cash advances towards his "future paycheck" as there may be no "future" from him at all. i say cut your losses now and be done with him.......

and for your "hiring pleasure", i wouldn't recommend any forum to which to choose from. once burnt, once learnt...............

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.