help getting to sleep when you aren't tired

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by walstib, Jun 6, 2011.

1. walstib

walstib Darkstar

Lil background...I'm an earlybird, up between 5-6am everyday and go to sleep between 9-11p...Here's my dilemma...Just got my next load which I can't pick up until 2:30am which must be delivered by 10:30am so I need to go to sleep MUCH earlier than normal...On past occasions like this, I've never been able to fall asleep until 10-11 and wake up dangerously tired...Have actually had to be late twice but thankfully both were terminal to terminal deliveries and receiving terminal didn't really care if I was late(low priority loads)...Since I need to be 'spunkier' on this trip, is there something safe to take to induce sleepiness that won't give me hangover?...I really need some advise on this as I have no idea and don't want to try this run dead tired...I was up at 6am this morning for 7am drop...Thank you in advance...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave75

Dave75 Light Load Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Florence, MS
    Without actually taking something, would possibly eating a heavy meal make you sleepy? I know if I eat something heavy, within 30 minutes I'm dog tired

walstib Thanks this.
  4. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Eat a half gallon of ice cream, in short order !

I'm Beat !!!!!

walstib Thanks this.
  5. walstib

walstib Darkstar

I'm a very hyper guy, it takes a lot for me to get sleepy...I've always looked at sleep as a very low priority, now I need it as night driving definitely makes me sleepy! LOL

6. Rerun8963

Rerun8963 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2006
    ova-hereee
    1) stay away from ALL caffeinated beverages, even "iced tea", and some sodas have ingredients that can interfere with sleep.

2) stay away from chocolate and other candies as the sugar can interfere.

3) walk around your truck several times, at a slow pace, or do some minor calisthenics in the cab.

4) drown out ALL noises in the truck best as you can. wear eye blinders (whatever they are called), were ear plugs.

5) have the truck idling at a steady RPM to lessen the shaking it does (if you need the a/c)

from my past, NyQuil will make you drowsy, but no guarantee it'll make you fall asleep.

i would really stay away from any thing else, although i "heard" melatonin helps with sleep, it can be found in most vitamin isles at the stores. i personally have not tried this.

walstib Thanks this.
  7. Huey

Huey Bobtail Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Tylenol PM or Sominex :biggrin_25518:

8. canuck in da truck

canuck in da truck Road Train Member

Aug 6, 2010
    western pa
    i have tried meletonin years ago---i dont think it helped get to slep ---but it sure gave me whacked out dreams
    legally not sure what would help you out--i used to get the same problem on a dedicated route---maybe a nice long walk or jog???

walstib Thanks this.
  9. whosedog

whosedog Medium Load Member

Mar 18, 2009
    fair lawn nj
    Ambiem also called zolpidem,don't know if it's allowed for drivers but it has no hangover effect like nytol.Knocks me out like a freight train,only take one third of a pill,and only if I toss and turn first.I don't drive a truck commercially by the way so don't jump on me if it's banned.

10. canuck in da truck

canuck in da truck Road Train Member

Aug 6, 2010
    western pa
    go chase your chickens around for awhile--that will tire you out

walstib and Arkansas Frost Thank this.
  11. Colorato

Colorato Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Melatonin. Available anywhere.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.