help getting to sleep when you aren't tired

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by walstib, Jun 6, 2011.

1. mattp

mattp Medium Load Member

May 26, 2011
    fr mass
    seriously rubbing one out is the best remedy at least for me even when im home not gonna lie i sleep like a baby when the old lady doesnt wanna helkp out lmao

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Palazon

Palazon Road Train Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    And here's a simple old remedy that doesn't need a 'script: soak your feet in warm water. The way it's been explained to me, the heat draws blood away from the brain making you sleepy. I use a large plastic tub that I keep under the bunk. I warm the water in the coffee pot and mix it with room temp water.

4. G-Dog

G-Dog Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2011
    BC
    As previously mentioned, Melatonin is a good idea. Definitely helps with readjusting your sleep schedule. If you have an MP3 player or laptop and a means to download stuff, try downloading some audio books for next time. I usually try and go for light stuff, or humorous books. Just kick back, relax and most of the time you'll fall asleep no problem, I know I do.

5. Sequoia

Sequoia Road Train Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Slip yourself a ruphie.
    ..or chloroform yourself.

walstib Thanks this.
  6. walstib

walstib Darkstar

:biggrin_25523:

You were right, I was out by 3pm, woke up at 12:30am wide awake!!!!!...Great ride with no yawns!!!!!!!...Drove 11hrs and I'm already parked for the night by 1pmPDT...

7. king Q

king Q Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Johannesburg sa
    Now all you have to do is learn to do this at will repeatedly:biggrin_25518:.

8. walstib

walstib Darkstar

I don't like driving at night, nothing to look at but the endless white lines...

9. notezbngrn71

notezbngrn71 Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Stevensville, MI
    I find a nice warm glass of milk and a brisk walk put me over the edge.

I can relate on the night driving with you. I just can't do it anymore like I did when I was younger.

10. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    Not really unless you are LTL line haul. Most of the time you can decide when you want to run OTR. Nothing wrong with taking more than a 10 hour break if you have time to do so on a load.

11. davenjeip

davenjeip Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Port Charlotte, Fl
    That's pretty much the schedule I try to run. So much less stress than trying to run during daylight hours. My day just seems to go downhill when the sun comes up and the rest of the world wakes up.

That's the whole point of running at night. Nothing to look at means nothing to be in your way and nothing to slow you down.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.