Help Heavyd

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by CraigInReston, Nov 12, 2018.

1. CraigInReston

CraigInReston Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Hi, I may of figured out problem of random miss, but need further info from you. I changed throttle position sensor in foot pedal about 2 years ago, Random miss has been around since then. I was recently told by justanwswer, that throttle sensor needs to be calibrated when changed... is this true? I explained the idle with cruise on, is much worse than using just the pedal. He stated that ecm uses different parameters for cruise and foot, and the ecm must be recalibrated using Insite, after changing sensors. Does this sound right? I don’t need to be wasting money on chasing ghosts. Thanks for your input.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CraigInReston

Apr 6, 2017
    P.S. I changed timing/metering actuators, fuel shut-off solonoid, checked for air in fuel, fuel pressure, and water in fuel. Injectors are all newer, and overhead just done. The miss does seem to be electronic in nature.

4. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    What engine is this? Also check your idle speed. Pedal calibration is needed on some engines, but generally older or industrial. The calibration procedure is just key on and make a full pedal application and return. There is also a code the engine will set if it is detecting a pedal calibration issue for some engines.

Rideandrepair and CraigInReston Thank this.
  5. CraigInReston

Apr 6, 2017
    It’s a 2009 ISX CM871, in a 2011 International 9900. Ok tried key on, full application/ return. Started, set cruise/idle to 1100rpm. Still has slight miss, then high idle kicks out on it’s own after approx. 1 minute. Rev to 1100rpm using only foot, miss is noticeably reduced. If I set cruise/idle to 1050rpm or less, it stays idling on it’s own. It has to be electronic-cruise control/idle related, no?

6. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    You are chasing a ghost here with the pedal vs cruise. You have a mechanical or fuel issue with your engine. The reason it seems better with cruise on is that the electronics are faster at adjusting fueling to keep a certain rpm, vs your input on the pedal which is asking a certain throttle percentage. Two different requirements for power demand.

Rideandrepair, Jazz1 and CraigInReston Thank this.
  7. CraigInReston

Apr 6, 2017
    Ok thanks Heavyd. Guess I’ll just run it. Already wasted enough money trying for a smooth idle.

8. DF361

DF361 Bobtail Member

Sep 8, 2011
    jacksonville,fl
    Hey Heavy, 1st, Happy Thanksgiving to u n yours!!! Trying to keep from making a total fool's leap here. Would u run this prostar vin for me? Thanks!
    • VIN3HSDJSJR0DN117394

9. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    No warranty left, last warranty claim was in 17. No recalls.

High pressure turbo in Jan 17
    Intake throttle same time
    alternator Jun 16
    fuel pump Aug 15
    EGR valve Apr 15
    DOC Feb 15
    EGR cooler Dec 14
    Rest is minor and too long ago to really matter now.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  10. DF361

DF361 Bobtail Member

Sep 8, 2011
    jacksonville,fl
    I appreciate your response sir. this truck has 658k and was wondering if u though this might be a decent buy

11. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I personally would not own one.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.