Help I need a CB.

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by otterinthewater, Nov 28, 2018.

1. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    ok. It’s time. I’ve been driving 4 months and winter is here.

I’m clueless as to what to buy. Im not a guy who likes to chat. My 2019 Prostar has an antenna and from what I can tell all the wiring. Also do I need a speaker?

I see the Cobra 29LX for $111 on Amazon.

Here’s a picture of the wiring and the antenna

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

D1CA720C-F0AA-4B87-95E7-2061F1344D17.jpeg 7F5477E8-ECF2-4D4A-A44F-F50C2B4B058D.jpeg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BTShepp

BTShepp Blue Demon

Oct 31, 2015
    Chicago, IL
    “I’m not a guy who likes to chat.”
    That’s most CB users these days. Generally that or rambos.

4. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    one simple thing to do is, buy a cigarette lighter plug, and wire up your cb power/ground to that...

now for those wires hanging from the top box, if you have a test light, with the key ON, one of those wires should be HOT, turn the key off, that light should go out..that is your power wire. the other would be/should be ground....most normal power wires are RED for positive, and black for ground...

do not go crazy on cb radios. many truck stops have what you saw on amazon, cheaper when on sale, and if you have truck stop points.

to me, it's a waste of time and money to get a cb radio peaked and tuned.....i would remove that antenna and install maybe a francis, 4 footer.

5. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I'm not really impressed with Cobra. The stock mics sound like garbage and they don't remember your settings when they loose power. Most stock power wiring looses power every time the truck key is off.

I would look at Uniden or President brand for a radio. I would lean more towards President. The have good mics and they remember your settings with no power.

I wouldn't worry about getting it "peaked and tuned" just run it like it is out of the box and if there are problems with range then look at fixing up the antenna first.

AM-transceivers - CB-Radios - Group President Electronics USA

Something like this isn't much more $ and has a front facing speaker.
    JOHNSON II - President CB Radio

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  6. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Looks like antenna, remote speaker plug and power wires.
    Most new trucks white is ground.

mitrucker Thanks this.
  7. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Green is hot. White is ground External CB speaker jack and coax all in your hand
    The plug has been cut off. Best to buy radio with built in SWR meter so you know radio is working and not having to spend your billions at CB shop
    Galaxy 929.

8. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    This is the route. My recommendation is similar, the Uniden 980 AM/SSB Radio. Then the President line (upwards price move).

The ######## move out of a truck and cut the wires. WILSON has truck stop harnesses that will work.

Get the tools and supplies to connect correctly.

As a rig it won’t be very impressive unless you upgrade things. What you can hear, and how far you can be heard.

An impressive rig is so much better (building on radios mentioned) that it’s night & day.

9. Firefox430

Firefox430 Bobtail Member

Dec 1, 2018
    I have an old Royce CB that has a toggle switch on the side what would that be used for

10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Extra channels. What model do you have?

11. Firefox430

Firefox430 Bobtail Member

Dec 1, 2018
    I will have to check in the morning I inherited a bunch of my papas CB stuff there is even a pair of hurricane 300 shoes in there I sure I will have more questions

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.