Help I need a CB.

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by otterinthewater, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    otterinthewater and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  3. Firefox430

Firefox430 Bobtail Member

Dec 1, 2018
    It’s a 602A

4. _33

_33 Light Load Member

Dec 6, 2018
    Atlanta, Ga
    You can spend a little extra coin and have a lot nicer of a set up than cobra. NOT KNOCKING COBRA BY ANY MEANS. Cobra is a dang good radio, they are durable and come with built in swr meter. If you just looking for a "backup radio", I know that's kind of a derogatory term but not meant to be in this case, then cobra is great. And yes you can find them a lot cheaper on letgo, truck stop lots and such. I personally would buy new just to ensure the radio at least works properly. If you do decide to have a shop do ANY WORK AT ALL check out our "whitelist" so you don't go to a butcher's block CB shop.

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Take a deep breath.

Buy a little radio. Nothing too fancy. The one I carry is a Uniden PC76xl and it was essentially free to me back in the 90's on a poker win in Alabama. Calhoun to be exact off I-20 at the CB Shop there. It has no money value, but works welll just need a mike, speaker and a 12 volt power supply connector similar to what drives my computer fans.

DO not whatever you do get sucked into envy or jealousy of this talk, that talk, side band, linear, talking 200 miles etc. That is a language of those who have the money, time, inclination and interest in that. Growing up with a relative who did have a little access around the world with his kit which was pretty good in those days for him it was a expression of something very good and for me it's no different than say a 20 dollar Cobra radio.

It is because the audio reception on my end is no better. A thousand dollar kit or a 20 dollar radio, they literally sound the same to me through my hearing aids. I use a external speaker. That cuts down on the ROAR a little bit. Your Antennas if they bolted onto your 18 wheeler nicely and you are happy with them, then that's all that matters.

I just used a standard 48 inch stick for antennas times two. As luck would have it they reached a certain height above the mirror that made them useful. Out west convoy work would managed about 40 vehicles, give or take 5 by the numbers. Had about 46 in one and another near Cabbage came out to 52 of us working together towards Wyoming.

There were more common times when two miles is pretty much all you got. However to consider the electromagnetic situation, its a wonder we got anything out at all. Keep in mind near Norfolk etc there will be times you aint talking to no body with that little 2 watt box versus a Carrier mounted short range suppressor. Just keep driving until people get nice again =)

6. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Anyone have any thoughts on the Bearcat 880. I see it for $99 on sale. For a first CB would this be an acceptable choice?

7. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Yes.

otterinthewater Thanks this.
  8. otterinthewater

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Thanks!

9. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
  10. otterinthewater

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    jessejamesdallas, 25(2)+2 and BCV Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.