Help I need a CB.

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by otterinthewater, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Meteorgray

Meteorgray Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2016
    LOL, that's a good one Slowmover.

For me, an SSB capability is of no value whatsoever, just another feature to pay for and not use. The only value for me having an unused SSB feature would be for having a higher resale potential, but I don't even do that. I keep my radios until they die, at which time they are buried in a landfill somewhere. Of course, none of them are of the $900 pedigree, either.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    Think of SSB as being when you REALLY need to keep talking/listening to the other guy (distance). Granted, it’s harder while mobile than from a base. (So pull over).

40-channels or 120?

2-5/miles or 15-30?

A lot more to it than these rough distance generalizations (it can be 100X that far), but it’s the business of, “better to have it and not need it than . . . “

A radio without SSB is pretty much just a device with which to irritate the loader by an installed noise toy.

Or

“Hey, why are we stopped?”

SSB opens up the world of Amateur Radio. But no licensing requirement.

Hear, and get heard (is more than Nitro Knobs and a Texas Star).

otterinthewater Thanks this.
  4. Meteorgray

Meteorgray Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Quote: "...A radio without SSB is pretty much just a device with which to irritate the loader by an installed noise toy...."

Hyperbole has a dramatic effect, especially to one's credibility. :)

Besides, when I'm stopped in a long procession, I'd LIKE to know why.

Or better yet, I'd like to get a warning so I'm not stopped at all. The AM CB is radio's best chance for that, at least in today's world.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    Timin770 Thanks this.
  5. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    AM-only doesn’t offer advantage.

SSB increases radio price difference minimally. It doesn’t double or triple it.

$120 for a 980 Uniden. Add $75 for a KL203 baby amp and now it’s $200 for a 75w stable AM/SSB radio. (I’ve almost been called a liar using my 885 & 203, disbelief that it was a “little” radio; credit decent antenna system).

And the 980 a radio highly regarded. See reviews online . Not just drivers. Amateur Radio sites.

I’ve been given Cobra 29s the past five years. NIB. In return for work or favors. And I just give them away. A new guy, and then an old guy stuck between two rocks. One to my son (whom I’m sure has never used it; he’ll get upgraded this year).

A 29 isn’t even a good backup radio, IMO, since for about the same price I could have had the modern design & SSB it lacks.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  6. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Well I bought the 880 this morning. Took me about 10 mins to install it. It transmits and receives. No idea on distance or what SWR is. I’ll figure it out in time. I guess I also need to learn “I ain’t wearing no panties”. Can’t wait for my first “shut up stupid” on the CB. I hear it enough in regular life already. LOL

Alexjesi and Slowmover1 Thank this.
  7. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    I have that radio and it’s lasted ovrr 2 years just fine. I recently got it peaked and tuned at a reputable shop in Arkansas. That means they opened it up and tinkered with it. I also got a new antenna and new coax cable. You might not need any of that. But if you feel others cannot hear you, I can help u make that bearcat better like I did mine.

8. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Don’t throw away the microphone pigtail that comes in the box. You don’t need it now. It can help u get a different mic later like I did (Astatic for $50). You will need the pigtail to plug a 4 pin mic into your 6 pin radio.

9. otterinthewater

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Cool and thanks. I’ll listen for a bit and see where I’m hearing people from then see if I can reach them. Definitely will reach out if I can’t make it across the peelot.

10. otterinthewater

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    I have to keep everything and then give it my wife. She’s a master organizer. She’ll probably label it with her label maker. Enter it into an inventory sheet that cross references the serial number on the radio and the position of the moon or whatever.

She’s knows we will go O/O someday so she made a spreadsheet and has tracked every piece of info on every load I’ve pulled. From fuel to where I parked, even detention time. It’s how her brain works. She even marks problem trailers so I can skip them when looking for an MT.

I guess I should add she’s not OCD or anything. Its her way of feeling apart of this while I’m on the road and it’s fun for her.

Slowmover1 and IluvCATS Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.