Help is needed desperately

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Rookie2020, Mar 22, 2024.

1. Rookie2020

Rookie2020 Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2020
    Six months ago, I bought a 2008 Freightliner century for my brother. It was not used for more than a year. The engine sounded good and it still does, but when I drive it bobtail it flies, but when I drive it with a trailer loaded or empty and especially on uphill it loses the power. I have changed one injector and all O-rings on the other injectors, injector harness (inside), also. I took off the EGR and the old turbo. I tested the fuel pump and it is good. I changed the charge air cooler. All air system from turbo to intake is brand new everything. I have no check engine light. In one word, I have done everything that I thought it could fix the problem, but I guess there is something that I don’t know why. So, if anyone can help me out and fix this problem, I would greatly appreciate it. Please, help me out if you can and any suggestions, thoughts, or ideas would be very helpful and appreciated. Thank you in advance to all of you guys and god bless you all.

austinmike Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FLHT

FLHT Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2014
    I would have plugged a computer up to it before I did anything.
    Lot cheaper in the long run...

Lonesome, TripleSix, Siinman and 10 others Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  5. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Air filter.

austinmike Thanks this.
  6. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Looks like you've done all the right things although I would of started with the simple stuff first things like the air filter, fuel filter the cheaper options first see if that changes things, it really makes a difference if your engine can't breathe same deal with fuel filters, next on the list would be the turbo, we used to have these issues here in OZ with the adblue which is used to stop pollutions levels, if the adblue cloggs up this greatly reduces the horsepower under load but will work fine bobtail. Not sure if you use the same system in the US but if your adblue is not working this will also effect the powertrain. This is what I think may be your issue if your losing power under load but not when its bobtail.

Rookie2020, 77fib77 and JoeyJunk Thank this.
  7. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    First, what engine does it have? MB? Second, I would have checked the settings in the ECM/Computer, how castrated is it? All the new parts in the world are not gonna help if it’s programmed for 210 hp.

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Why didn't you get a dyno done to see how much power it is really making?

TripleSix Thanks this.
  9. Rookie2020

Sep 22, 2020

10. Rookie2020

Sep 22, 2020
    I have changed all the air, fuel, and oil filters. I do not know what is Adblue and where it is located on the engine If you could tell me where it is, I would appreciate it a lot.

11. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    You are throwing parts at the truck hoping to fix it. You must have money to burn. Your comment about how well the truck runs bobtail means that you have absolutely no idea about anything. An unscrupulous repair shop could easily clean you out.

I am not being helpful, am I? There’s really no point in me trying after you’ve ignored the ECM/dyno tune recommendations. If it were an injector, charge cooler, fuel air filter issue, the truck would still run like garbage bobtail. Someone may have programmed a beancounter tune into the ECM. With a bad tune, the truck will run like arse regardless of the parts thrown at it.

Concorde, PPDCT, AModelCat and 5 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.