Help me secure this load!

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by A Bug, Nov 11, 2022.

1. INRUT

INRUT Medium Load Member

Aug 21, 2016
    I’d chain racks front, rear, & probably middle & roll

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    Looks like precision strip??

I know shippers don’t like to tell you how to secure but Precision is usually better and by the book
    At least they were the times I had been to their locations

FerrissWheel and jamespmack Thank this.
  4. INRUT

INRUT Medium Load Member

Aug 21, 2016
    You had better experience’s then me at precision strip, they were nothing but a good waste of time for me at the locations I went to.

FerrissWheel, Bean Jr. and jamespmack Thank this.
  5. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

Yea and I've seen plenty of thier company trucks dump them from lack of securement. Green trucks mean go ahead of me.

400pm appointment, don't be late. But they will run 6 green trucks around you at 4pm. Ill drive past PS and home empty before thier frieght sets on my wagon.

6. INRUT

INRUT Medium Load Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Glad I’m not up that way to see there trucks anymore, used to make my blood pressure rise when I spotted one

FerrissWheel and jamespmack Thank this.
  7. jamespmack

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    Ok, I've never hauled copper like this. Here is what I would do. You guys feel free to correct me, please. Rack and coil is less than 7k. First racks need spun 180°, protect forward movement. That way banding only is relied on for rearward movement. I do not trust banding, if they cared, it would be banded at 4 points. It has only 2. Chain or strap over dead center of coil. Rubber belting under it. Not sure,but maybe short 4x4 on top, to disperse strap/chain load. You have plenty WLL. Front rack set on rubber belting, and rear. Trip chain on front. Add one on rear if you wanna feel warm, fuzzy and legal. Id be more concerned over a freight claim than a securement violation. This is were securement is important on product value than law. Then again, depends on customer. Thats not a load I'd haul cheap. Seen cheap loads rejected over scratches, expensive metal unload and set in a mud puddle outside.

FYI the right-side of my mobile is shattered, doing me best to type.

FerrissWheel, cke, Bean Jr. and 2 others Thank this.
  8. jamespmack

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

Someplace in the early 2000's my Dad put one of their Middletown crane operators on a 3 day medical holiday. Dad was old then. I have 1000's more reasons not to go. But last name is one of them.

cke and beastr123 Thank this.
  9. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Personally, a load like this would be a NO GO.
    Here’s why.
    Look at the sets of coils. Very few have any sign of banding them into one stack. willing to bet they have only 2 or 3 holding the stack together.

The racks they are in has a “well” area for them to sit down into, but are designed for 2 stacks. There should be a small divider in the middle of the well on the rack. Having only 1 stack, and the little banding leaves plenty of room to walk around. Having the single coil also makes them off balance, more opportunity to walk around and possibly tip.

Fix these issues, then maybe it would be good to haul.

FerrissWheel, cke and jamespmack Thank this.
  10. A Bug

A Bug Heavy Load Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Sevierville TN
    I chained the front and rear racks, everything stayed put. Was only 250 miles.
    Got to say I go to a lot of precision strip locations. They are not so bad, the loads pay alright and yes their company trucks do get priority but I have learned my way around most of them to get in and out pretty quick.

FerrissWheel, cke, jamespmack and 2 others Thank this.
  11. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    I agree
    They are a waste of time
    I didn’t go there a lot but the times I did go I was usually in and out

I switched companies 1.5 years ago and haven’t hauled a coil from anyone since and don’t miss it

cke, Bean Jr. and jamespmack Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.