Help me survive another year OTR

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by red70tvhs, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Wargames

Wargames Captain Crusty

Jul 22, 2010
    WI.
    Be very wise how you spend your money, you’ll make it. Your focus is employment , you don’t depend on your wife covering everything , that’s t your job. Find a local job you’ll do fine, good luck.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. red70tvhs

red70tvhs Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2018
    I don't depend on her for anything other than emotional support. She feels bad most of the time because she isn't contributing financially. She may not bring in any money atm but I feel she contributes quite a bit with caring for our daughter and still making it through her last semester of school. She's okay with reversing roles temporarily If it gets me home. Of course I don't want to not work, ideally I'd like to go straight to another job, but if it takes a few weeks once I park this thing, we're fine with it.

Rocks and Wargames Thank this.
  4. tallguy66

tallguy66 Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2018
    sent a PM

5. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    I was taking a stab at DHT as that was the only place you had mentioned working for in your limited posting volume.

6. red70tvhs

Jun 11, 2018
    Yeah, I haven't been on here much since I got into this. My free time doesn't really exist and when I do have some, this is pretty low at the list on what I wanna do with it. Lol. No offense to anybody.

Scooter Jones Thanks this.
  7. Wargames

Wargames Captain Crusty

Jul 22, 2010
    WI.
    Very good thinking, you’re on the right track. You’ll make it buddy , just keep your motivation. Don’t stop. When we married our Brides, we made a commitment for life , to take care of them, and not let anyone get in our way.

8. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Don’t sweat the temporary role reversal.

I got laid off when our kids were little and my new job was saving money.
    I did all the grocery shopping and cooking , and taking care of the kids and I actually enjoyed it.
    We ate a lot of rice and baloney but I fixed breakfast lunch and dinner every day so there were zero dollars spent
    At a Starbucks or Burger King etc.
    We cancelled the Cable TV and trimmed the spending every where we could and I sold both of my motorcycles.

You might want to consider to sell the race car though.
    If money gets tight, the toys will be hard to justify.
    And the money might be better prioritized as a down payment on a house if y’all don’t already own one and are currently renting .

and geeze 4200 miles a week is hard on anyone.

I thought my buddy runs pretty hard and he did 2200 miles last week. But he’s home every weekend. Usually leave Sunday evening and gets back Thursday afternoon. He does oversize so with the lower speeds , curfews and not allowed to run after dark, he’s kind of limited on racking up miles .

he gets a percentage of the gross but averages 85-90 cents a mile .

with the miles you’re running you should be socking away some good money .

once your wife graduates and starts as an RN , you can join the trophy husband club. My wife earned nearly double what I made last year. That’s what happens when you marry a chick that’s smarter than the average bear.

9. red70tvhs

Jun 11, 2018
    The race car is basically my only major payment other than miniscule stuff. Our living situation is kind of odd, but we don't pay rent. I jointly own my home and share with my disabled brother, I'm never there so I never had any need to move. She stays with her aunt because it was close to her college. We decided that my current place wasn't an option because of the history there (both my parents passed there) and the area just isn't economically viable. Our current gameplan is for her to get a job in her current area to stay rent free to get experience then buy a house in our chosen area in about a year. If I stay on the road, all debt including the car will be paid by then minus her student loans. I get the VA loan mortgage so I don't need a downpayment unless I want to spend over 325k on a house which is stupid imo lol. After doing math, a downpayment wouldn't really phase the payment much anyways and since I don't have to worry about pmi, I don't see the point of handing the bank a ton of money that could be used elsewhere or invested.

But you know, if I can't stomach this for another year, we're prepared to just go ahead and buy the house. The best financial option is to play to our current advantages... It just may not be the healthiest for me.

Mattflat362 Thanks this.
  10. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    Always hard to deal with OTR when you get into it with a family and spouse involved beforehand. Then there's those of us whose social skills never developed, got into driving, and now we're just too weird to start any sort of relationships with anyone.

It's bad that one's going through this sort of thing. But at the same time, for those of us that never had anyone else in our lives, the empathy test is harder to pass than the MCAT.

Rocks and kylefitzy Thank this.
  11. wtlong88

wtlong88 Bobtail Member

Jan 23, 2013
    I'm in a very similar spot as the original poster.
    Done it 7 years and now with a soon to be 3 year old it's rough leaving. But on the flip side not much in good jobs where I live either .

Just try to plan the best you can, have a backup plan or you'll end up back in the truck. Maybe find a way to take some online classes on the road. I remember a poster here at one point in time who got a online degree while otr.

I wonder how some of the drivers manage doing this for 30 years. My dad and father in law both drove all their lives pretty much. I just ain't built for it I guess lol.

Rocks and bentstrider83 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.