help! need coffee pot!

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by ladybird2, Apr 13, 2018.

1. ladybird2

ladybird2 Bobtail Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Hey ya'll! Funny question but. ..
    I need my own coffee (picky) and I need to be able to brew it with my 1200 Watt coffee maker IN MY VAN.
    I don't know what the capacity of the alternator is. .. all I know is that it's a 15 (amp)? Fuse from the cigarette lighter and the inverter I got from Amazon just blew the fuse. So what could I do to be able to power my 1200 watt coffee pot from my 15 amp cigarette lighter? Or if I can't do that. .. what kind of an inverter do I need and can I plug it into the cig lighter? I don't know anything about wiring and I don't want to go direct to the battery. I can see the fuse box right under the dash BUT I'm scared that I'll do something wrong and cause myself a huge expensive mess! What do people do that want to brew coffee with a regular pot in their vehicle (read reviews that the 12v coffee pots made for cig lighters are horrible and slower than molasses in the wintertime!

I have a minivan by the way. Not a big truck.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    15 amp cigarette lighter is 15 amps at 12 volts.

To power a 1200 watt coffee pot, at 12 volts, you'd need a 100 amp circuit.

Just go to a truck stop and get a Road Pro 12V coffee maker. It's actually full size. It is slow, but will make exceedingly hot, good coffee.

4. ladybird2

ladybird2 Bobtail Member

Apr 13, 2018
    I thought of that! I guess I might have to but read bad reviews. Have you used it yourself and will my 15 amp handle the biggest kind on the market? (I need ALOT of coffee- 8 OZ ain't gonna cut it)
    Could I get a 100 or 150 amp fuse and put it below the dash? Read something about this. ... then you can plug in an inverter which mounts on the floor? Is that safe/easy/doable and would it handle 1200 watts?

5. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Lol no your wiring will BURST into flame. And 100 amp fuse is probably the size of your entire fuse box.

Yes I have used it. It works great.

Hulld Thanks this.
  6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    An inverter big enough to run a coffee maker like you speak of will have to be wired directly into the battery with ginormous wire. Even the big inverters in many big trucks today can barely run a coffee maker during the main brew cycle. This heating elements require serious amps.

If this is something you're prepared to do, you'd probably also need to upgrade your battery to the biggest CCA battery you can find that will fit. But I can't guarantee a single battery will give a 1,800-2,000 watt inverter the amps it will want with a coffee maker making demands, even if the van engine is running.

Maybe you need to develop a taste for iced coffee.

Hulld Thanks this.
  7. ladybird2

ladybird2 Bobtail Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Ok well i def don't want a vehicle fire! I guess I will have to give the road pro a try!
    Usually I just haul around my big pot and find an outlet at a gas station or store then stand there. Which definitely raises some eyebrows esp when they smell the coffee.
    Much prefer to just brew in the vehicle!

Thanks much! :)

8. ladybird2

ladybird2 Bobtail Member

Apr 13, 2018

9. ladybird2

ladybird2 Bobtail Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Never thought brewing a pot of coffee would be so hard! I'm "dry camping" (boondocking) and some of the most basic creature comforts have become challenging or obsolete! Coffee is right up there on my top 10 'must-haves' and I don't like any of the stuff that's on tap (including starbucks. ..yuk)!
    Sigh. Looks like I'll be trying out the road pro 12v coffee maker. .. :)

10. Sharky88

Sharky88 Heavy Load Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Well one way to do it is to get a small generator like a Honda uses little gas and can run your coffee pot or heater if you need one

11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    ... or a really long extension cord

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.