Help needed. Installing Carrier Comfort Pro APU

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by mhyn, Jan 21, 2018.

1. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    Hello Gentlemens
    I bought 2008 MY Carrier Comfort Pro APU last week. It has 5000 hours. The APU is an Integrated model. The frame is rusty but engine and other parts look fresh. I have decided to clean the rusty frame and paint it. Both covers also will be painted. I have paid $1500 for complete unit. At this moment I have three questions.
    a. My truck has DD15 and I really don't know where on engine I must connect coolant hoses of APU. The installation manual says connect them to high and suction ports. Maybe somebody can post pictures or can advise me where exactly I must connect these hoses.
    b. The APU has a small radiator on back side and it is loose on frame. Tried to find out why that radiator is loose. No success. Does anybody know how that radiator must be secured ?
    c. The manual says the fuel tank must be drilled and fuel pickup tube must be installed. How to drill fuel tank so debris won't go in?

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    I would check out YouTube for videos on APU installation and servicing to get some ideas on what you will need to do.

I would also go down to a Carrier Stealership and ask one of the Techs there if they could answer a few installation questions.

flood and mhyn Thank this.
  4. Sipesh

Sipesh Medium Load Member

Apr 3, 2014
    Colorado
    I can't help with your install, but get an extra fuel pump for that thing to have on hand when the one in it craps out. I fought with that same type and vintage unit for years on my old truck. The fuel pump is easy to swap out, but not always easy to find when you need it.

mhyn Thanks this.
  5. Rom

Rom Bobtail Member

Jun 22, 2015

6. Rom

Rom Bobtail Member

Jun 22, 2015
    I know I'm late with this post, I have experience installing these if you still have questions but I assume you have it running by now.

7. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    I have installed it. Used it 2-3 months. Replaced it with Tripac. Thanks for responding.

8. Verdel

Verdel Medium Load Member

Oct 26, 2013
    Tripac is more quiet and reliable. The engine is 2cyl Yanmar Made in Japan. Life of the engine is about 50 000 hours. Many people said it even runs up to 70-80 000 hours with good maintenance. I purchased a truck with this APU on 5000 hours - practically new. I am changing 2 fuel filters, 1 air filter - once a year, but the oil filter and oil as soon as the oil gets black and only use 5W40 - 100% synthetic. Dello 5W40 is $20 at Walmart. It takes 1 gallon of oil. Manual says - do the service once a year or every 1000 hours, but I prefer to play safe and keep the engine run clean....

mhyn, Jazz1 and bzinger Thank this.
  9. BEDTIME211

BEDTIME211 Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Can you assist me. I had a used one installed
    Carrier apu. The problem I face is I have apu running and forget to turn off when I hit the road. A couple of times it’s runnjng w truck engine for hours. I just replace. A battery that got ruined cause of it.
    Still I forget to turn off. It should have a way that once power is turned in it kills the system so you don’t overcharge batteries

10. GeorgiaHybrid

GeorgiaHybrid Bobtail Member

Jun 6, 2017
    Bedtime, you need to take a look at the schematics which can be downloaded online. All you need to do is run a wire that will output 12 volts from the alternator after the engine is started to the relay mounted in the upper part of the engine compartment on the frame. The system will cut the engine off when voltage is present at that relay. Any Carrier tech can do that for you after hours in a parking lot for you and charge a lot less than his shop would.

11. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    it takes little more than 1 gallon. I would say 1.1 or 1.2 gallon ;-)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.