Help No brake lights

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by brenes-built, Jan 3, 2012.

1. brenes-built

brenes-built Light Load Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Vancouver, Wa
    I'm going to check the switches behind the pedals... I did take a light tester to the fuses and the key was on... I noticed it when backing into a spot....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bill104

Bill104 <b>Pepsiholic</b>

Dec 27, 2011
    Sacramento,Ca
    You said this was after you had the truck washed, if they used presure washers look for wires that may have.been blown off under the hood I seen that once at a wash in elk grove california.

4. brenes-built

Apr 14, 2011
    Vancouver, Wa
    Went into back behind the pedals and the brake switch didn't have any power.. I pressed the pedal down while having the key on, nothing.... When I get some daylight I'm checking under the hood.. The breaker for the stop didn't even pop...

5. bender

bender Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Don't Kid Yourself
    Maxi/mega fuse under hood.

6. brenes-built

Apr 14, 2011
    Vancouver, Wa
    Wheres that located under the hood in a 99 peterbilt

7. bender

bender Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Don't Kid Yourself
    Can't recall exactly, usually black cover marked fuse.

8. Crusty

Crusty <b>Just Plain Crusty</b>

May 29, 2010
    Canton, GA
    It's wise to carry a cheap probe type tester. A fuse can be bad and look ok. It's also quicker.

9. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Usually at a truck wash they will cause a water short under the hood if you have a problem harness connector. Or someone careless with the brush will smack the pigtail washing the back. The pigtail connections are very close together with strand wire. It's common for screw to back off and a connection loose. Smacking it with a brush could of caused a short.

My first though would be a blown fuse. My second thought would be one of the relays with wore out contacts. The short was enough to finish it off.

Normally they would hook the laptop up and check all your switches that way. The circuit runs through many things. Once you are convinced you found the right fuse. You can check the brake light relay by swapping with a like one in the panel. The relay panel is on the firewall under the hood if not mistaken.

Like others said, Once you are convinced you found the right fuse, then put a tester to your brake switch and see if you have power coming to it. Then with the pedal pushed in make sure power is coming out. It could of coincidently went bad.

Once you fix it, I would check it out with the trailer pigtail disconnected. Then if it blows again afterwards, you know the pigtail is shorted.

I had my APU AC quit working one time. Turned out it was the truck wash smacked the condensor fan wires with the brush and messed it up. Them guys don't think about them things.

10. texan007

texan007 Medium Load Member

Jun 5, 2010
    In the woods,TEXAS
    Some trucks Pete 387 will not have lights if the front blinker light is out...but most likely a fuse

11. brenes-built

Apr 14, 2011
    Vancouver, Wa
    After checking the brake switch which had no power to either end, I pulled the fuse box out and tested ther terminals behind the stop breaker... One had power the other didn't.. So it's a bad breaker..thanks for the responses....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.