Help please...fuel tank problem

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Nate7011, May 16, 2015.

1. Nate7011

Nate7011 Bobtail Member

May 16, 2015
    I have a 2011 387 Pete with a Cummins ISX. My driver side fuel tank is pushing fuel over into my passenger side tank. I have to leave a little room in my passenger side tank or it starts to overflow and pour out when I open the fuel cap. It also comes out of the overflow house and pours down the side of the tank. I can go about 400 miles before it will start pulling fuel from the passenger side tank.

tmslogistics Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tmslogistics

tmslogistics Light Load Member

Mar 10, 2015
    Glad to see you here Nate7011. This is an awesome message board. Someone here will be able to help you.

Toby

Nate7011 Thanks this.
  4. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    We had 2010 that did the same thing. We just fiddled with the shut off valves to restrict flow out of the tank that emptied first and the return into the tank that was full. It was that way from the time it was new.

If this is a new problem, check the vents and lines to see if you have a restriction or blockage somewhere. Check the suction line on the high tank and the return on the low one.

tmslogistics and Nate7011 Thank this.
  5. tmslogistics

tmslogistics Light Load Member

Mar 10, 2015
    My truck is much older.....I have a 98 379.....if the plumbing is similar.....maybe you have a return line breaking down between the junction valve and the tanks.

Just my 2 cents. It would be a cheap place to start after checking vents etc. As mentioned earlier.

Nate7011 Thanks this.
  6. dustinbrock

dustinbrock Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    when in doubt take a air gun (one of those blow guns hooked to your seats air ride supply will work) and blow into both vent lines off the fuel tanks.

Nate7011 and tmslogistics Thank this.
  7. Nate7011

Nate7011 Bobtail Member

May 16, 2015
    Thanks for everyone's help.

8. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Mine does it too - I have a 2000 FL classic ... the driver side never leaks a drop while the passenger side leaks from the cap and after a while looks awful ...

I just don't fill it right to the top usually. Only maybe after 10,000 km I fill it right up so I can get a mpg reading. Cheap solution, I guess ... Also - I replaced the original caps with talon tight locking caps ... not sure if that makes any difference ... replaced them when I bought this truck so I don't know if the original caps had same problem. I know it is not leaking any measurable amount because even when I was routinely filling it right up and it leaked, I still get the same mpg numbers from doing it the way I do now.

Nate7011 Thanks this.
  9. Turf

Turf Bobtail Member

Jan 8, 2018
    Help help, I have 2011 386 with a paccar engine the passenger tank run low on fuel it shut the engine off, even the fuel gauge show I have fuel. Why can’t I just ran off the driver side tank.

10. A5¢

A5¢ Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Make sure the fuel shut off valves on top of each tank are open. On my 387, if one tank is shut off, the return line still dumps fuel in the tank that is shut off. If the road-side tank is shut off, it will draw fuel from the curb-side tank until it runs out of fuel. The sending unit is in the road-side tank and will show there is fuel, but it's not drawing from it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.